What's new

Cake bandwidth configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

networkplumber

New Around Here
I see a bug when configuring upload/download bandwidth QoS (with Cake in 386.2_6)

# tc qdisc show
qdisc cake 8003: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 10240Kbit diffserv3 dual-srchost nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64
qdisc cake 8004: dev ifb4eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 307200Kbit besteffort dual-dsthost nat wash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64

This is wrong. In communications K = 1000 and M = 1000000 (SI units) in storage and other places K = 1024 (IEC units).
The iproute2 commands get this right, looks like somewhere in the GUI to qdisc scripts somewhere is using wrong multiplier.

Yes, this is a discrepancy by Asus.

Does this mean when we enter e.g. 100 Mbps in the QoS configuration, we are actually configuring 100 x 2^20 bps(Mebibits/sec), which is actually 105 x 10^6 bps(Megabits/sec)? Is this why the recommendation to use 95% of speedtest? Or should we be using 95% of the 95% (->90%) to compensate for mebi/megabits?

When you enter 100 Mb/s in the QoS page, it’s stored in nvram as 102400 kbps. The tc interface interprets it as 102400 kilobits (not kibibits). So I think you’re only overstating by 2.4%. This is all unrelated (AFAIK) to the 95% recommendation.

Being ultra-nerdy, I manually update nvram with my adjusted kilobit values. It displays oddly in the GUI, but I know the bandwidth is where I want it, plus I personally spend a lot of time looking at tc output so the rounder Mbits are easier to glance at.

Thanks Dave! Ultra-nerds represent! (My friends think I am an ultra-nerd for running custom firmware on my router, how little they know of nerdom ;))

Thanks Dave! Ultra-nerds represent! (My friends think I am an ultra-nerd for running custom firmware on my router, how little they know of nerdom ;))
they might change their tune after using your network for a while, with local DNS caching, ad-blocking...

To the original query, I just put in the 7-day Avg numbers from spdMerlin and call it a day. The graphs are populating within a percent or two of my subscribed rates (and in higher than, on the UL side), and data flows nicely in both directions. Bufferbloat is A/A+

Last edited:
Iproute already supports configuration with iec units which seems to be what Asus wants.
Assuming you have real iproute2 not the busybox version.