What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS - Merlin Filter Duplicate TCP ACKs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
I’m curious about Filter Duplicates TCP Acks in QoSCake-Merlin’s configuration and how it’s been fairing for people.

I have a pretty basic internet connection of 15 down 15 up over a fibre connection. I could pay for a 1gbe plan, but it’s a luxury cost I don’t need. My connection type I would consider symmetrical meaning that my UL/DL are the same. When it comes to fibre connections their is single line where one line deals with UL/DL or double line where one line deals with UL and the other DL, double lines can also do Bonded,Failover,LoadBalence, but that’s besides the point.

My line type is Fibre to the home with one line, a usual setup as dual lines are more for businesses.

I was doing some reading on Filter Duplicate TCP Ack in CakeQoS and I’m curious if this causes packet loss in real world use and if anyone with symmetrical lines actually see a performance benefit on either UL, DL or both.

My understanding also is that on a single line sharing UL/DL if download is 100% in use it leaves no speed for UL. That said it’s not equal and as long as you have more then 1Mbps UL it shouldn’t be a issue.

I understand that duplicate acks are a method of Fast Retransmit to avoid total packet loss. Seems cakeqos limits filtered ack retransmit to at least 2 in the queue in conservative mode, and read somewhere aggressive mode was experimental and thought of as a mistake that is was made in the first place because it only keeps 1 ack.

Now if it works the same way in Merlin that’s another question.

I think in my case with symmetrical line it would be more beneficial to have both UL/DL enabled for Filter Duplicate TCP Acks, to keep both sides even. But I haven’t done any testing.

Edit: Tried it with UL/DL filtered duplicate ack enabled and I’m not seeing any packet loss in tests however I do see lots of drops and a few dropped ack packets under statistics. Haven’t noticed really any performance on download, but perhaps if I did a upload.

Last edited:
Since this is about a specific addon's usage a.k.a. CakeQoS, wouldn't it be better asked in the addons section using the CakeQoS thread prefix?

1665719563862.png

Specifically since there is an addons forum? I thought the Asuswrt-Merlin Forum was separated for specifically Merlin Firmware only related topics.

Since this is about a specific addon's usage a.k.a. CakeQoS, wouldn't it be better asked in the addons section using the CakeQoS thread prefix?

View attachment 44818
Specifically since there is an addons forum? I thought the Asuswrt-Merlin Forum was separated for specifically Merlin Firmware only related topics.

Probably would have been a better place, sorry I usually read this section, addons somewhat feel like a official place for the devs to announce their addons in.

If a mod wishes to move this thread over there they are welcome to.

Probably would have been a better place, sorry I usually read this thread, addons somewhat feel like a official place for the devs to announce their addons in.

If a mod wishes to move this thread over there they are welcome to.
Sorry I wasn't trying to derail your interest in having this answered; in contrast, I am trying to get it answered quicker (or more efficiently). Think about it this way, all the addon users would be looking for "news" or "questions" related to the addon in the addon's forum; hence, it promotes users of the script in question to answer your question more promptly. Also, it gives the developers a better opportunity to respond as well. It promotes the sharing if ideas, and advancement of all addons including the one for which your question is directly in regards to.

Sorry I wasn't trying to derail your interest in having this answered; in contrast, I am trying to get it answered quicker (or more efficiently). Think about it this way, all the addon users would be looking for "news" or "questions" related to the addon in the addon's forum; hence, it promotes users of the script in question to answer your question more promptly. Also, it gives the developers a better opportunity to respond as well. It promotes the sharing if ideas, and advancement of all addons including the one for which your question is directly in regards to.

I understand I take no offence; honestly didn’t really think about it when I posted, but you’re correct.