What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.0.0 alpha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, just out of curiosity, in my case. The asus router is connected to a ethernet port on the dsl/pppoe modem. Does the asus even know its pppoe or care?
Yes it matters because the link with the bottleneck, your internet connection, is the one that your router is attempting to compensate for.

Yes it matters because the link with the bottleneck, your internet connection, is the one that your router is attempting to compensate for.
Guess I wasnt clear. I understand we need to compensate as with overhead. Question was, Does the router actually know what the link is (how would it, its just connected via eth to the modem). and does it care (because it doesnt know?). This drops back to being able to detect pppoe from the router....

It didn’t work for people with pppoe connections, so I have to come up with a more involved method for retrieving the right MTU value from the router.
Ahh cripes, yep I see the posts now. I didn't connect two and two together when that error was reported. Apologies!

Another question, and this is probably more applicable to main beta thread, bit I will ask here since there is a high concentration of cake users. If QoS is disabled, and I then enable QoS with cake, my router applies the setting and reboots. What's going on there, applying QoS shouldn't require that. Changing QoS settings and applying when QoS is already enabled doesn't reboot the router.

Any similar experiences?

Reactions: Gar
I have experienced the same reboot after enabling Cake. I also experienced this internal reboot by hitting Apply on the Lan->Switch Control page.
Whats interesting is that in both cases, post “reboot”, most of my Addon tabs don’t show up.
As long as I do a “proper” reboot (Reboot button on WebUI home page) they all return.

Same on reboot and no tabs. Unbound doesn't show any graphs until I reinstall the GUI either.

Ahh cripes, yep I see the posts now. I didn't connect two and two together when that error was reported. Apologies!

Another question, and this is probably more applicable to main beta thread, bit I will ask here since there is a high concentration of cake users. If QoS is disabled, and I then enable QoS with cake, my router applies the setting and reboots. What's going on there, applying QoS shouldn't require that. Changing QoS settings and applying when QoS is already enabled doesn't reboot the router.

Any similar experiences?
I brought this up with Merlin and the code belongs to Asus and it’s very confusing what they’re doing on the QoS page.

Guess I wasnt clear. I understand we need to compensate as with overhead. Question was, Does the router actually know what the link is (how would it, its just connected via eth to the modem). and does it care (because it doesnt know?). This drops back to being able to detect pppoe from the router....
I assume it depends on the WAN Connection Type you choose on the WAN page.

Installed and everything seems to be working great!

One tiny complaint, I had some configuration already in cake-qos.conf.add and it got overwritten. I knew what was in there so no big deal, but it might be nice to save a backup just in case someone had more extensive changes?

This waveform bufferbloat test - I get A+ results (no change to latency on up or download), but the latency number is about 5x what spdMerlin (and terminal ping and ping6 to the same server) is telling me....and the weird thing is that it's telling me my UL speed is almost 3x what I pay my ISP for. (50/10 DSL PPPoE) (I've never been able to straighten the difference between adsl and vdsl in my head...I'm leaning towards vdsl on my connection)

is anyone else seeing this? I'm using cake, but not this current alpha (beta?) and I'm using v386.1_2 for my ac86

I've my options set like this:
Speeds are 97.5% of what spdMerlin tells me based on 7-day avg (and they're within 0.5Mbps of package speeds)
besteffort
DL - raw ethernet rtt 15ms (because spdMerlin says my avg is in the 7ms range) wash nat dual-dsthost ack-filter
UL - raw ethernet rtt 15ms dual-srchost ack-filter aggressive

I always doubt speed tests to an extent, but decided to go with Jack's version because of tracking/pretty charts...now I'm doubting the waveform test's results. but everything feels ok on the network, except when there's a bunch of streaming going on in the evenings when it bogs down some (which may be more my ISP than my network/cake)

Speeds are 97.5% of what spdMerlin tells me based on 7-day avg (and they're within 0.5Mbps of package speeds)
besteffort

Completely irrelevant but how do you manage to enter decimal values in the bandwidth fields? I can only enter whole numbers, as soon as I use a dot or a comma the field becomes red, and no comma or dot is shown...?

Completely irrelevant but how do you manage to enter decimal values in the bandwidth fields? I can only enter whole numbers, as soon as I use a dot or a comma the field becomes red, and no comma or dot is shown...?
I don't think anyone else is seeing that on the QoS tab.

I don't think anyone else is seeing that on the QoS tab.
On the QoS tab decimals are used, but on SpdMerlin tab they're not accepted. At least, not with me. And as he's (I assume @heysoundude is a 'he') referring to AutoBW measurements, I think he meant the SpdMerlin tab and not the QoS tab. Both the QoS tab as well as the CakeQOS tab don't allow percentages to be filled in, only actual speeds, with decimals.

On the QoS tab decimals are used, but on SpdMerlin tab they're not accepted. At least, not with me. And as he's (I assume @heysoundude is a 'he') referring to AutoBW measurements, I think he meant the SpdMerlin tab and not the QoS tab. Both the QoS tab as well as the CakeQOS tab don't allow percentages to be filled in, only actual speeds, with decimals.
He said he's using a 7-day average, so I assume he is calculating and entering it manually.

He said he's using a 7-day average, so I assume he is calculating and entering it manually.

Ah, that could be the case indeed. Somewhere in the back of my mind a thought lingered that SpdMerlin was already using an average of 7 weeks, but that appears to be (if still the case) an average of the last 10 speedtests.

on the command line (not the GUI) the cake-qos script allows kbps values to be entered - no periods or commas req'd/necessary. So for me, with a 50Mbit subscription, that's 50000 kbit.
you'll have to try it in the GUI and let me know how it works (probably fine)
the cake manpage is helpful...

Reactions: MvW
yeah, the 7-day avg from spdMerlin...no AutoBW. and my pronoun is indeed "he"

Does CakeQoS have a cap? I have 400/10 from my ISP (comcast), and when I set my download limit to 390 in CakeQoS, I only get 200 down on speed tests and dslresports bufferbloat test.

Does CakeQoS have a cap? I have 400/10 from my ISP (comcast), and when I set my download limit to 390 in CakeQoS, I only get 200 down on speed tests and dslresports bufferbloat test.
Its not a limit per se but a limit on the router hardware capability.
I believe I have seen it mentioned about 300-350Mbps with one of the beefier units.
My ax86u was utilizing a single core for cake and capped around 200-250Mbps of my 450Mbps connection.
I ditched cake for FlexQoS.
It is great!

Its not a limit per se but a limit on the router hardware capability.
I believe I have seen it mentioned about 300-350Mbps with one of the beefier units.
My ax86u was utilizing a single core for cake and capped around 200-250Mbps of my 450Mbps connection.
I ditched cake for FlexQoS.
It is great!

For me the problem is FlexQoS has super high latency/bufferbloat on the upload. When using CakeQoS, it's the opposite. I have bad bloat on the download, but almost none on the upload.

For me the problem is FlexQoS has super high latency/bufferbloat on the upload. When using CakeQoS, it's the opposite. I have bad bloat on the download, but almost none on the upload.
I see you created another thread about Cake and in that thread you added your router model. Its suggested that in your profile you add your router model info. Much of what we see on our own networks is related to which router we are using.

With an old ac86u you will never see high speeds with cake. Im on a quad core ax86u and still capping. Enough so that I left Cake.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.