What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.0.0 alpha

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an old ac86u you will never see high speeds with cake. Im on a quad core ax86u and still capping. Enough so that I left Cake.
Good luck.
Nice. I was looking at the AX86U, but wasn't sure if I should upgrade... Since you left Cake, what are you on now? FlexQoS?

Nice. I was looking at the AX86U, but wasn't sure if I should upgrade... Since you left Cake, what are you on now? FlexQoS?
Yep. FlexQoS and its been good for me so far.
Only had it running today and not much change to put a test on it.
The stress testing should be over the next week or so.

With an old ac86u you will never see high speeds with cake. Im on a quad core ax86u and still capping. Enough so that I left Cake.
The ac86u and ax86u have the same single threaded performance, so the cake speed cap will be the same, or at least very similar across both those models.

The ac86u and ax86u have the same single threaded performance, so the cake speed cap will be the same, or at least very similar across both those models.
Pretty much what I have seen. He was saying he was getting 200Mbps and Ive gotten about 250Mbps. Im ok losing some bandwidth but not nearly 1/2. Unfortunately I cannot have my cake and HSI too. ;)

Just noticed when using Cake, if I download from STEAM while using Teamspeak, the entire teamspeak lags. Since I host the teamspeak 3 server on a spare pc on the same network, apparently it saturates the network so much that everyone lags and they all say they hear "robotic" voices from the lag. So it seems CAKE doesn't resolve these types of issues?

Just noticed when using Cake, if I download from STEAM while using Teamspeak, the entire teamspeak lags. Since I host the teamspeak 3 server on a spare pc on the same network, apparently it saturates the network so much that everyone lags and they all say they hear "robotic" voices from the lag. So it seems CAKE doesn't resolve these types of issues?
If cake is configured and working properly, it should resolve those issues.

With your 400/10 connection, you probably want to consider adding the ack-filter option onto your download link. That will help prevent your uplink being saturated with acks packets resulting from a saturated downlink.

You could probably also look at reducing your upload limit a little more to give cake a bit more room to play with.

In its current form, cake will not perform well if you run heavy peer-to-peer downloads on the same PC as any latency sensitive applications like VOIP or gaming. This is because cake treats all connections on the same PC equally and fairly, and peer-to-peer downloads tend to open up dozens of connections, which all get their "fair share" and thus crowd out everything else. Cake does however treat all PCs fairly BEFORE that, so if the latency sensitive applications are running on a different PC, you should be ok.

It may be possible in the future to add per-connection priority tags to traffic so that bulk transfers are treated un-fairly, in favour of latency sensitive connections (Like Adaptive QoS and Flex QoS does), but that is a work in progress.

With your 400/10 connection, you probably want to consider adding the ack-filter option onto your download link. That will help prevent your uplink being saturated with acks packets resulting from a saturated downlink.

It may be possible in the future to add per-connection priority tags to traffic so that bulk transfers are treated un-fairly, in favour of latency sensitive connections (Like Adaptive QoS and Flex QoS does), but that is a work in progress.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to adjust the limits and add the ack-filter option. If it still doesn't work properly, I'll try messing with FlexQoS again.

On the download link? I've always been told to add ack-filter to the upload link. My connection is 500/20... should I change that?

Upload is what you want, I think Wade had a typo there. And since this is the cake thread, the setting is in the UI as "Filter Duplicate TCP ACKs", just set Upload to Yes.

On the download link? I've always been told to add ack-filter to the upload link. My connection is 500/20... should I change that?
Upload is what you want, I think Wade had a typo there. And since this is the cake thread, the setting is in the UI as "Filter Duplicate TCP ACKs", just set Upload to Yes.
Yep, sorry, ack-filter on upload @jbehrmusic. And the tick box makes that a nice easy setting to make :)

Hello,
AC86U here.
My downlink probably varies between 300 and 350Mbps (I upgraded the link a few hours ago, so I can't tell how close the actual speed is from the promised speed (400). I have tested at 312, 342, 330 without Cake.). I just tested Cake in the automatic setting and it gave me at least 310. https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d0831c68-0e67-4720-8639-9a0857be1cff
With defined boundaries, it gave me at least 305.
The actual cake cpu limit might be higher, those values might just be limited by the current condition of my link and the fact I did just one test. I mostly wanted to point that the 200 and 250 that were quoted seem a bit low.

You probably could reach more. Note that in my experience, on my DOCSIS link, I need to enter a bigger figure than my actual target threshold (for instance, my downlink used to be 125. I had to enter 130 as a limit and Cake would limit the traffic to approx. 115. And at those lower speeds, the discrepancy/difference had nothing to do with CPU limits.)

Take care
Best regards
W.

EDIT: At least 340Mbps with Cake, Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/827bdfd8-faf4-420c-acd5-9542473cf66c (reminder, it might be that 340Mbps was the speed of my link at that moment.)

EDIT 2: At least 359Mbps with Cake, Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/05c980d9-86b9-4d20-85d8-572c3d395170 (reminder, it might be that 359 was the max speed of my link from the ISP at that moment.)

Last edited:
Do these settings seem appropriate for a docsis connection? Sorry new to Merlin. I really appreciate all the work everyone is providing. I am getting great results with dslreports but sometimes I don't truly trust them. Thanks.

Those are the settings for my 100/5 DOCSIS connection and they work pretty well.

1617277983531.png

Hello,
AC86U here.
My downlink probably varies between 300 and 350Mbps (I upgraded the link a few hours ago, so I can't tell how close the actual speed is from the promised speed (400). I have tested at 312, 342, 330 without Cake.). I just tested Cake in the automatic setting and it gave me at least 310. https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d0831c68-0e67-4720-8639-9a0857be1cff
With defined boundaries, it gave me at least 305.
The actual cake cpu limit might be higher, those values might just be limited by the current condition of my link and the fact I did just one test. I mostly wanted to point that the 200 and 250 that were quoted seem a bit low.

You probably could reach more. Note that in my experience, on my DOCSIS link, I need to enter a bigger figure than my actual target threshold (for instance, my downlink used to be 125. I had to enter 130 as a limit and Cake would limit the traffic to approx. 115. And at those lower speeds, the discrepancy/difference had nothing to do with CPU limits.)

Take care
Best regards
W.

EDIT: At least 340Mbps with Cake, Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/827bdfd8-faf4-420c-acd5-9542473cf66c (reminder, it might be that 340Mbps was the speed of my link at that moment.)
It's interesting,

I have the same router you do (just the RGB version.) When I do a speedtest, I don't exceed 240. What did you have as your download/upload?

Edit: I set my speeds to 350 on download instead of the 450 I had before. I now magically get more speeds? Is this normal?

EDIT (again): Tested my speeds at 490 (just to try it out, I usually get 600mbps anyways for speedtests.) Now getting 340-350. Interesting.

Now I will say, I do have a confirmed case of node congestion in our area so I wonder if the dip in speeds have to do with that. Probably do.

Do these settings seem appropriate for a docsis connection? Sorry new to Merlin. I really appreciate all the work everyone is providing. I am getting great results with dslreports but sometimes I don't truly trust them. Thanks.
Usually, it's not required to enable wash for uploads. And change Flow Isolation to dual-dstchost for downloads and dual-srchost for upload. Both of those changes save some CPU time.

Usually, it's not required to enable wash for uploads. And change Flow Isolation to dual-dstchost for downloads and dual-srchost for upload. Both of those changes save some CPU time.
What does wash do out of curiosity?

What does wash do out of curiosity?

The CakeQoS manpage offers a huge amount of information of the different variables:

(Other parameters like WASH)

The CakeQoS-Merlin thread on the forum offers loads of info and previous asked questions (and answers) as well:

From that page:

wash

Traffic entering your diffserv domain is frequently mis-marked in transit from the
perspective of your network, and traffic exiting yours may be mis-marked from the
perspective of the transiting provider.

Apply the wash option to clear all extra diffserv (but not ECN bits), after priority
queuing has taken place.

If you are shaping inbound, and cannot trust the diffserv markings (as is the case for
Comcast Cable, among others), it is best to use a single queue "besteffort" mode with
wash.

Can anyone help me with DSCP tagging? I would like to tag all UDP traffic soo it goes to the Voice tin. And maybe try per port tagging if that isn't enough.

Last edited:
I'm actually having an issue trying to input my up and down speeds: the interface locks up when I click on them. EDIT - needs doing in the QoS tab
AC86, just updated to 386.2 45 mins ago from 386.1_2. needed to reboot a couple of times before I got it to connect to my ISP, then I went in and removed the old cake and copypasta'd the instruction in post #1 here (the re-re was FAST).
and now it seems I'm missing my unbound and scMerlin tabs...
Hmmm...standby, I'm going digging. will update as I fix things
UPDATE - after forcing updates of scMerlin and rebooting a couple (3?) times, all is right again in the GUI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.