What's new

camera connection and power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porfavorhelp

Regular Contributor
Can I connect a POE switch (power up an ip camera switch) straight to a wireless router LAN port and setup the poe ip camera? I want to make sure I do not burn the wireless router. Thank you

Switch and camera model numbers, please.

Can I connect a POE switch (power up an ip camera switch) straight to a wireless router LAN port and setup the poe ip camera? I want to make sure I do not burn the wireless router. Thank you
Yes. As long as the switch port used to the router LAN port is not a powered port. I have an old Foscam eight port switch that has four powered and four unpowered or "normal" Ethernet ports. Some PoE switches also have a series of power switches to power, PoE, or not power the ports.

Yes. As long as the switch port used to the router LAN port is not a powered port. I have an old Foscam eight port switch that has four powered and four unpowered or "normal" Ethernet ports. Some PoE switches also have a series of power switches to power, PoE, or not power the ports.
Thank you for your response! So you mean poe switch power port to wireless router not power lan port is ok. Can you tell where I can find 8 port poe switch with none-port combination please?

This camera uses standard PoE, any PoE switch with 802.3af will work. Get a brand name switch, connect your router to non-PoE port. I wanted to see the camera model because some use 12V passive PoE and need some special care. I would buy Gigabit capable PoE switch.

So what port from the poe switch should I use to connect to the router lan port?

This camera uses standard PoE, any PoE switch with 802.3af will work. Get a brand name switch, connect your router to non-PoE port. I wanted to see the camera model because some use 12V passive PoE and need some special care. I would buy Gigabit capable PoE switch.
So what port from the poe switch should I use to connect to the router lan port?

IEEE 802.3af compliant PoE switch does initial handshake procedure before sending power. It won't damage any non-PoE equipment. Just in case, if no-name PoE switch is used, I would connect my router to non-PoE port of the switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!