What's new

Campus Network Design numerical problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shivajikobardan

New Around Here
Design the redundant network for Purdue University with 4 departments including ISP which are around 300m apart from each other. Three departments have 4 labs each with 24 computers in each room . ISP contains server farm with server like DNS, DHCP, Email, FTP, NMS(wtf is NMS), and webserver and the main internet router which will be connected to upstream provider. Propose appropriate equipment(L1,L2 and L3) and physical wires for the network design.

here are the files of solutions, i have read and tried to understand all of them. i have understood subnetting. i have understood network design as well, but even though i am dumb, i can tell that most of the network design drawn here is wrong. so i am asking this question here, hope to get help.

backups-:

(tell me if there is a good site to share these stuffs w/o signups).

The question is clearly asking me to design the 3 layer networks i.e distribution, core and access layer. And some of the questions ask to be redundant. The problem is I have seen a whole book on redundant network design and not just few guidelines that would help me in this small topic of my course. (The topic weight is just 8% of the entire final exam). I love reading and would definitely read 1000 pages of top down network design sadly there are restrictions in real life. It would take me 3-6 months to finish that book all on my own.

so here's the subnetting solution-:

let's take ip address 192.168.0.0

total required hosts=294

2^x-2=294=> x=7

/## will be /25

D1-:

192.168.0.0/25 - 192.168.0.127/25 (I will only keep network address-broadcast address here, rest can be found pretty easily from it)

D2-:

192.168.0.128/25-192.168.0.255/25

D3-:

192.168.1.0/25-192.168.1.127/25

ISP-: ( I took number of hosts as just 6 although it says ISP contains a main router. Should I consider a router as a host? Or is it different? My books don't consider it as a host. Isn't router just a computer? thus a host?)

192.168.1.128/29-192.168.1.135/29

now there are lots of questions.

for a moment, forget the redundant network design.

forget the L1,L2,L3 design,and let's do a basic level design.

1655997117962.png

This is the stupid design I made.(of I know this is not real n/w)

D1 means department1.

L1 means lab1.

*24 means 24 hosts

*6 means 6 servers

the one is ISP is main router.

what the answer according to my book(it is very unauthentic book with plenty of mistakes, depending on that book to learn sth is a learning suicide, it's not written by any reputed professors. This book is a huge scam in our university where they don't teach anything in classes, don't help students so that we buy these books. And isn't even written by best quality professors. Tbh best quality professors never stay in our country, they just get opportunity to move abroad.)

1) Main router-:

a) router for D1(that uses network address)===> switch1--->24 hosts

b) router for D2====>switch2===>24 hosts

c) router for D3===>switch3===>24 hosts

d) router for ISP===>switch4===>6 hosts

is this correct? if this is correct, could you give a small explanation of this system? i feel this is correct. but why are we using another router in ISP when ISP already has main router? a brief explanation would be helpful.

now say I want to make this design redundant.

I make everything two times. would not that work lol?

The devices required will be-:

1) Main router

2) Switch

3) Optical fiber

4) CAT6 cable

5) Laptops

6) Servers

7) wireless router (why and where is this required? any ideas what use this will have here?)

Hope to get help. This is a long question but the answer to this is short as I am just asking that n/w design part. And we don't have to make networks in laptop, we just need to design in theory.

Last edited:
yeah jholmes was helpful indeed. but it didn't clear my confusion. open the file there is an answer already. but i want to learn the crux properly.

You've now posted the same question on Tom's Hardware. I suggest you stop spamming the internet and read the course material.

You've now posted the same question on Tom's Hardware. I suggest you stop spamming the internet and read the course material.

i've studied the basics, i'm not getting the answer, that's why i'm asking. i am not from a country with good education system. this is a part of my learning. we don't have professors who help us. i have learnt 95% of stuffs, it's just 5% of stuff remaining and there are no materials to learn this.(there is answer in the file but it is very suspicious as that's not written by any reliable person).

To me this does not make much sense. You need to figure out security so you can come up with a network structure like VLANs. I would think you want some form of dynamic VLANs so people can roam around campus. Figuring out IP addresses is easy. You just need enough IP addresses to cover the different VLANs whether you use public or private will depend on your security model.

I would not use a bunch of routers unless you have to. Use L3 switches.

I am not sure what you mean by 81 hosts unless you mean PCs. 81 hosts are not very many. You state you need 294 which is bigger than a class C network but when I add all the router hosts up I only get 81. You are going to have a lot of network equipment IP addresses. So where are all the other IP addresses? VLANs will be required for security which means you will run multiple scopes on DHCP.

Redundancy will require about twice the number networking equipment and possibly twice the servers depending on how much redundancy you want to add.
I would think you need some kind of firewall maybe 2 if you want redundancy.

Last edited:
To me this does not make much sense. You need to figure out security so you can come up with a network structure like VLANs. I would think you want some form of dynamic VLANs so people can roam around campus. Figuring out IP addresses is easy. You just need enough IP addresses to cover the different VLANs whether you use public or private will depend on your security model.

I would not use a bunch of routers unless you have to. Use L3 switches.

I am not sure what you mean by 81 hosts unless you mean PCs. 81 hosts are not very many. You state you need 294 which is bigger than a class C network but when I add all the router hosts up I only get 81. You are going to have a lot of network equipment IP addresses. So where are all the other IP addresses? VLANs will be required for security which means you will run multiple scopes on DHCP.
thanks for the info.

Redundancy will require about twice the number networking equipment and possibly twice the servers depending on how much redundancy you want to add.
I would think you need some kind of firewall maybe 2 if you want redundancy.
yeah imo they are asking us to write detailed network design using core,access and distribution. it's not very simple thing to do without guidance and under time limitations. so i am skipping that and just drawing everything twice lol.

This is not hard. You buy equipment based on the active IPs and you design this from the core out.