What's new

CAN AX86U BE SET UP WITH OPEN VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SO CONFUSED

New Around Here
Hi
I'm new to this forum and a complete novice. I have purchased a new RT-AX86U and haven't taken it out of the box yet. looking at cyber ghost as a VPN provider but note on their website 'Router with alternative DD-WRT firmware and support of OpenVPN' is required. Have checked DD-WRT.COM website and the AX86U is not supported.

from cyber ghost site, 'Some general notes on routers':

• Routers are usually not equipped with state of the art hardware, meaning you will have speed losses when using a VPN connection (due to low CPU power to process encryption). Direct connections from your PC, Laptop, Tablet, etc. to the VPN network (without the router providing the VPN software) will work better for you if speed is among your favorite desires.
  • If your flashed router doesn't provide DSL functionality, your Internet connection will still need to be managed by your DSL modem. In that case, your device pool will hook on your router (via cable or wireless) and the router itself will be hooked to your DSL modem. So don’t forget to configure your WLAN devices to connect to the new router, so they won’t log in to the old WLAN. Alternatively, you can deactivate your modem’s WLAN completely (only if you don’t need it for unencrypted traffic).
  • If you flash your router with an alternative firmware you might lose your device’s guarantee; please consult your dealers’ policies regarding this matter. Furthermore, it might happen that the flash process leaves your device unusable, e.g. after a power failure while flashing. CyberGhost is not to be held responsible for any damages, does not acknowledge any liabilities, and will not adopt your manufacturer’s warranty.
  • Also please note that not all routers with VPN client support will be able to connect to the CyberGhost network or might lose that ability with future firmware updates.
DD-WRT is a custom firmware for routers, it offers OpenVPN protocol support and is available on a wide variety of routers. You can check if your router supports DD-WRT firmware here.

My query, will the standard ASUS firmware Asuswrt 386_49599 work to be Able to set up cyber ghost?

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I have no idea what my options are.

If CyberGhost provide a standard openVPN config file then yes it'll work fine with the standard asus firmware. No need to complicate the simple with custom firmwares.

Hi
I'm new to this forum and a complete novice. I have purchased a new RT-AX86U and haven't taken it out of the box yet. looking at cyber ghost as a VPN provider but note on their website 'Router with alternative DD-WRT firmware and support of OpenVPN' is required. Have checked DD-WRT.COM website and the AX86U is not supported.

from cyber ghost site, 'Some general notes on routers':

• Routers are usually not equipped with state of the art hardware, meaning you will have speed losses when using a VPN connection (due to low CPU power to process encryption). Direct connections from your PC, Laptop, Tablet, etc. to the VPN network (without the router providing the VPN software) will work better for you if speed is among your favorite desires.
  • If your flashed router doesn't provide DSL functionality, your Internet connection will still need to be managed by your DSL modem. In that case, your device pool will hook on your router (via cable or wireless) and the router itself will be hooked to your DSL modem. So don’t forget to configure your WLAN devices to connect to the new router, so they won’t log in to the old WLAN. Alternatively, you can deactivate your modem’s WLAN completely (only if you don’t need it for unencrypted traffic).
  • If you flash your router with an alternative firmware you might lose your device’s guarantee; please consult your dealers’ policies regarding this matter. Furthermore, it might happen that the flash process leaves your device unusable, e.g. after a power failure while flashing. CyberGhost is not to be held responsible for any damages, does not acknowledge any liabilities, and will not adopt your manufacturer’s warranty.
  • Also please note that not all routers with VPN client support will be able to connect to the CyberGhost network or might lose that ability with future firmware updates.
DD-WRT is a custom firmware for routers, it offers OpenVPN protocol support and is available on a wide variety of routers. You can check if your router supports DD-WRT firmware here.

My query, will the standard ASUS firmware Asuswrt 386_49599 work to be Able to set up cyber ghost?

I apologise if this is a stupid question but I have no idea what my options are.
The AX86U is a very capable router. Just be sure to upgrade to the current firmware, RT-AX86U : 3.0.0.4.388_22525, as there have been many fixes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!