What's new

Can be used a satellite dish as an wifi antena?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark777

Occasional Visitor
I have many satellite dish with different dimensions. Is it possible to use sattellite dish as an wifi antena? Can be used: 1. even to send my internet wifi far from my house and 2.even to receive wifi from somewhere else to my house? If it is possible what is neccessary to have and how the installation process should be done?

I mean in general if can be used. If yes how far can you benefit deppending on the dimensions of the satellite dish?

"In general" most satellite dishes are made for TV. They are designed to operate on a much higher frequency than WiFi. As such I would expect them to perform very badly when connected to a WiFi router.

"In general" most satellite dishes are made for TV. They are designed to operate on a much higher frequency than WiFi. As such I would expect them to perform very badly when connected to a WiFi router.[/QUOTE
Still not the answers for at least three questions on top. Can be used or not (or adapted), if yes even to send my wifi of internet from my house somwhere else, and even to receive others wifi to use at my house; and if yes how can be done?

Still not the answers for at least three questions on top. Can be used or not (or adapted), if yes even to send my wifi of internet from my house somwhere else, and even to receive others wifi to use at my house; and if yes how can be done?

@ColinTaylor has already given the correct answer. ;)

Sure, everything can be used to do anything else. Haven't you seen MacGyver? :)

Unlike MacGyver though, the question for the rest of us is 'at what cost'. :)

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-turn-a-satellite-dish-into-a-wifi-antenna

The answer how was neccessary in order to answer all those situations asked. Thank you @ColinTaylor and @L&LD for your time spent and answers.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that just because you can do this, doesn't mean a better way isn't available or possible. ;)

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that just because you can do this, doesn't mean a better way isn't available or possible. ;)
Hahaha, should I post another question for these other options how to send or receive wifi long-range, or excist already such a question with the answers? Hahaha don't worry I will search in internet. All the best

Hahaha, should I post another question for these other options how to send or receive wifi long-range, or excist already such a question with the answers?

Take some time to search and discover what is available first on these forums.

Post your questions, if any, in the applicable thread. Define what you want to accomplish. Details and what you hope to accomplish is very helpful in getting the answers you need quickly from others. ;)

I have taped wifi antenna to the receiver on a satellite dish and gotten wifi a mile away. It was not the most ideal setup, but it worked.

I have taped wifi antenna to the receiver on a satellite dish and gotten wifi a mile away. It was not the most ideal setup, but it worked.

Need more details! :)

And Pics! :) :) :)

Need more details! :)

And Pics! :) :) :)

It was about 8 years ago. I did not have a phone with me for pics at the time. It was literally rigged out of temporary necessity in the middle of nowhere Michigan. It worked great especially at night.

How about the "classic" Pringles cantenna :D

1280px-Pringles_Can_Antenna_Wifi_%28106601670%29.jpg