What's new

Can I Block Specific Devices from getting IPv6 Address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This would null out ipv6 dns for specific mac address but would only be offered as suggestion the device may still overrule it.

I’ll definitely give this a try in the next week or so, thanks!
Your other suggestions re: Netflix are not practical for me as it’s not just Netflix the SmartDNS is spoofing, but thanks anyway.

I feel your pain as I also live in Australia, the same method applies to other streaming services, just need to find the right domains with a quick google search.

No pain really ... my fallback position is just to leave IPv6 turned off - I haven’t had it up until now anyway and it’s not like it’s stopping me doing anything, in fact as of right now it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Would be nice to work it out though so I can start playing and making the whole home network IPv6 ready - but not at the expense of all the much more useful luxuries :)

I don't know if this will work, but can you not use ip6tables to drop all packets from the device? I don't know whether the device will keep trying ipv6 or stick to ipv4 only though.

Possibly yes if I knew what I doing ... much more research needed!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it's it possible to block done specific device from getting ipv6 address right now?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it's it possible to block done specific device from getting ipv6 address right now?
I imagine if you know what port dhcp6 uses to assign addressing (maybe port 546 or 547), you could block the flow of traffic to a specific MAC address coming from that port with ip6tables. this would prevent dhcp6 reaching the device.

I imagine if you know what port dhcp6 uses to assign addressing (maybe port 546 or 547), you could block the flow of traffic to a specific MAC address coming from that port with ip6tables. this would prevent dhcp6 reaching the device.
Can you teach me how to?
And how can I find the dhcp6 port? Right now is set to native

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!