What's new

AdGuardHome Can I block YouTube ads?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshuajackson

I get a lot of ads on YouTube on my smart tv based on Roku. Can I use this to block them?

Unlikely. YouTube ads are served from streaming servers.

Yeah I figured that out. I was able to block ads with next dns, but it’s tricky and sometimes video won’t load and I can’t put in scripts or block specific IPs. Apparently it works or used to with pihole but I don’t know it’s all new to me

It doesn't work with any DNS-based adblock solutions. The only one blocking effectively YouTube ads is uBlock Origin extension.

It doesn't - can't block the streaming server. It will block the video stream as well. Google figured it out.

I use a Google Chromecast with Smart Tube Next installed and no Ads. Roku is extremely limited, i help run one of the Largest Roku Groups on FB and people are starting to switch devices.

Dumb question, why does ublock work and pihole/adguard etc doesn't?

Dumb question, why does ublock work and pihole/adguard etc doesn't?
Ublock works merely as a browser filter. Where pihole/adguard blocks content by blocking domain addresses. Often the advertisements are done via the same domain as the video- a.k.a. block the domain ,you block the video as well.

Last edited:
I use a Google Chromecast with Smart Tube Next installed and no Ads. Roku is extremely limited, i help run one of the Largest Roku Groups on FB and people are starting to switch devices.
Agreed running it on a ccwgtv & an onn 4k, removes all the google/youtube 'crap', don't know how long it can last.

uBlock also doesn't break webpages. It removes the adds and rearranges the page so there is no blank areas.
Some dns solutions don't break webpages as well, but it depends on the DNS solution. That is the major difference with Ublock and DNS blocking solutions. Ublock can filter the content of a page that loads in the browser, while DNS blocking prevents the content from ever reaching the browser. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses. The main take away for this discussion is that DNS blocking is not viable for blocking youtube advertisements since the video content and advertisements are delivered via the same source. I think the confusion here has been created with the pihole/diversion experimental youtube block concept that relied on hostname trickery to convince the you-tube ad-stream that the advertisement had already been played by using a previous ad-stream IP address. While this works occasionally, it eventually leads to no longer being able to play youtube video streams thus requiring the method to be reset over a period of time. To be clear, this is not an actual solution for the problem.

Some dns solutions don't break webpages as well

All I have tried leave blank spaces - Pi-hole, Diversion, AdGuard, pfBlockerNG. There is nothing to tell the browser to remove them. The most annoying thing is dead ad links in Google search. Some of them are actually very relevant to what was searched for. Another reason I prefer uBlock Origin is the easy on/off button and selective ad blocking per website. I can set and forget SNB Forums with adds to support the site and something else with no ads because I don't care what they want to show me. The whole procedure is one pointer movement and two klicks. No other solution is more convenient.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!