1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Can I disable WPS in AiMesh?

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by czrabode, Sep 8, 2018.

1. czrabode

czrabode Occasional Visitor

I have successfully set up 2 RT-AC86U using a wired backhaul in AiMesh mode. I knew I needed to turn on WPS for set-up.

However, when I try to turn it off after setup, I get this message: "If you disable WPS, it will affect the AiMesh wifi connectivity. Are you sure to process?"

Does this mean I have to leave WPS on to use AiMesh?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

No, except for adding nodes. However, disabling WPS will only affect the router, not the nodes. So, I stopped bothering with it.

OE

4. LimJK

LimJK Regular Contributor

OzarkEdge,

Just out of curiosity after reading your post, I turned WPS = OFF, on my AiMesh Router ... I found that for the current version(s) of AiMesh firmware, it actually propagate the WPS settings from AiMesh Router to both my AiMesh nodes. I validated that with my WiFi Explorer app on my MacBookPro ... it shows that WPS of the nodes are actually OFF.

However, I have left it ON for convenience for AiMesh setup, after some earlier forum discussions where Richard (I think) did some tests to show that the way Asus implemented WPS is sufficiently robust :)

5. OzarkEdge

Thanks for checking! I'm downgraded to 21140, so I cannot confirm now. I, too, am less concerned about leaving WPS ON.

Here's what WiFi Analyzer reports for 21140 WPS:
    o When ON, WPS is ON for both bands except not for router guest WLANs and node 5.0 GHz.
    o When OFF, WPS is OFF for both bands except not for node 2.4 GHz.

In other words:
    o WPS is all ON or all OFF at the router except Guest WLANs are always OFF.
    o WPS is always ON 2.4 at the node and always OFF 5.0 at the node. No guest WLANs at the node.

I'll check again when I upgrade past the current firmware 32797.

OE

6. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

What I know WPS can only be activated for one band, either 2G or 5G, and thats how it is shown in GUI, I have to turn it off to change band and enable it on the other band ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. OzarkEdge

That was my interpretation of the GUI options, and probably how it should behave. But my observations of WPS security for router WLANs and for node WLANs for the various ON/OFF and 2.4/5.0 selections were as noted above. I'm comfortable assuming the 21140 firmware is not fully-baked.

OE

8. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

It can only be activated for one band as on clients (Windows) you wont see any band and if they got same SSID for 2G 5G you cant define which you are connecting to, so it is bound to one band and that you will connect to.

9. OzarkEdge

WiFi Analyzer shows WPS security activated/present on both bands at the router... that's all.

OE

10. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

Whatever, WPS doesn't work anymore on both of my routers 68U/86U 2G or 5G.
    Deleted my connection on Windows-PC and try to connect with WPS-button, Windows will find them to be WPS-enabled but get error similar to (translated) "cannot retrieve data to connect to this network".

Whereever I try any setting it doesnt work on these (cant say without to be rude) routers.
    Only way to use them is if you turn on with defaults and luckily can use it as it is.
    Cant say how disappointed I am with this buggy ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  11. OzarkEdge

So, WPS is enabled but doesn't work on latest firmware... that's a new one. Given LimJK's report that ON/OFF works across nodes, and your report that ON is not usable, if sounds like ASUS left WPS in disrepair. Maybe others will report similar, or otherwise.

OE

12. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

not on my win10 PC, maybe on others, dont want to test them all.
    Aimesh (where WPS is needed too) still working, paired last week for a test and both ways without any trouble.

13. LimJK

OzarkEdge,

See the 2 screenshots when I turn WPS ON/OFF on my AiMesh Router that gets propogated to both AiMesh Nodes. I am not as adventurous as Grisu :) as I leave almost all my NVRAM settings, especially my WiFi settings as default and don't have issues with my WiFi :):

AiMesh Router WPS ON.png AiMesh Router WPS OFF.png

indark and OzarkEdge like this.
  14. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

You are 100% correct, Acrylic showing same WPS 1.0 on 2G and 5G SSID on both of mine too.
    But not sure to believe Acrylic, reported them 4 bugs 2 months ago, one major will be solved with next release and 3 minor!!!
    Select channel 132 with 40MHz and it will show false extended channel (e.g. 36+40 will be shown in list as 32+36 but in graph correct as 36+40)!

Despite in GUI you have to suppose different behavior to be enabled only for actual selected band, as you have to disable it before you can enable it for the other band.
    So hard to believe though you have to disable for selected band first, it will be reenabled after choosing other band and enable WPS for that! :confused::mad::oops: -> NEXT BUG FOUND that never will be fixed !!!

However Win10 tries but doesnt connect in my system, returns with an error and have to manually set password.

And so I only believe what I see -> NOT WORKING for ME, maybe others got more luck ...

15. KevTech

KevTech Very Senior Member

I always turn WPS off after setting up the nodes as it is a huge security risk.

8 digit pin is really only 7 digits as the 8th number is a checksum digit.

It would only take about 10,000-11,000 guesses to crack the PIN which would not take long at all for any modern computer or even a smartphone.

16. LimJK

KevTech,

There were some earlier discussions here, where Richard Li used REAVER and some other methods to crack the PIN with no success:
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-25#post-384406

However, I have turned WPS = OFF now :). If I remember correctly, for the recent FW(s) that propagates some additional NVRAM settings from AiMesh Router to AiMesh Nodes, I think WPS will be turned ON automatically when searching for AiMesh Nodes; I have not tried it yet - will try it during the next FW update with WPS = OFF.

17. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

no need to test, done this some weeks ago.
    You will get a window telling WPS to be enabled when you search for AiMesh-nodes.
    After connecting you can turn off again.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!