What's new

Can I disable WPS in AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

czrabode

Occasional Visitor
I have successfully set up 2 RT-AC86U using a wired backhaul in AiMesh mode. I knew I needed to turn on WPS for set-up.

However, when I try to turn it off after setup, I get this message: "If you disable WPS, it will affect the AiMesh wifi connectivity. Are you sure to process?"

Does this mean I have to leave WPS on to use AiMesh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have successfully set up 2 RT-AC86U using a wired backhaul in AiMesh mode. I knew I needed to turn on WPA for set-up.

However, when I try to turn it off after setup, I get this message: "If you disable WPS, it will affect the AiMesh wifi connectivity. Are you sure to process?"

Does this mean I have to leave WPS on to use AiMesh?

No, except for adding nodes. However, disabling WPS will only affect the router, not the nodes. So, I stopped bothering with it.

OE

No, except for adding nodes. However, disabling WPS will only affect the router, not the nodes. So, I stopped bothering with it.

OE
OzarkEdge,

Just out of curiosity after reading your post, I turned WPS = OFF, on my AiMesh Router ... I found that for the current version(s) of AiMesh firmware, it actually propagate the WPS settings from AiMesh Router to both my AiMesh nodes. I validated that with my WiFi Explorer app on my MacBookPro ... it shows that WPS of the nodes are actually OFF.

However, I have left it ON for convenience for AiMesh setup, after some earlier forum discussions where Richard (I think) did some tests to show that the way Asus implemented WPS is sufficiently robust :)

OzarkEdge,

Just out of curiosity after reading your post, I turned WPS = OFF, on my AiMesh Router ... I found that for the current version(s) of AiMesh firmware, it actually propagate the WPS settings from AiMesh Router to both my AiMesh nodes. I validated that with my WiFi Explorer app on my MacBookPro ... it shows that WPS of the nodes are actually OFF.

However, I have left it ON for convenience for AiMesh setup, after some earlier forum discussions where Richard (I think) did some tests to show that the way Asus implemented WPS is sufficiently robust :)

Thanks for checking! I'm downgraded to 21140, so I cannot confirm now. I, too, am less concerned about leaving WPS ON.

Here's what WiFi Analyzer reports for 21140 WPS:
o When ON, WPS is ON for both bands except not for router guest WLANs and node 5.0 GHz.
o When OFF, WPS is OFF for both bands except not for node 2.4 GHz.

In other words:
o WPS is all ON or all OFF at the router except Guest WLANs are always OFF.
o WPS is always ON 2.4 at the node and always OFF 5.0 at the node. No guest WLANs at the node.

I'll check again when I upgrade past the current firmware 32797.

OE

Thanks for checking! I'm downgraded to 21140, so I cannot confirm now. I, too, am less concerned about leaving WPS ON.

o When ON, WPS is ON for both bands except not for router guest WLANs and node 5.0 GHz.

In other words:
o WPS is all ON or all OFF at the router except Guest WLANs are always OFF.
o WPS is always ON 2.4 at the node and always OFF 5.0 at the node. No guest WLANs at the node.

I'll check again when I upgrade past the current firmware 32797.

OE
What I know WPS can only be activated for one band, either 2G or 5G, and thats how it is shown in GUI, I have to turn it off to change band and enable it on the other band ...

Last edited:
What I know WPS can only be activated for one band, either 2G or 5G, and thats how it is shown in GUI, I have to turn it of to change band and enable it on the other band ...

That was my interpretation of the GUI options, and probably how it should behave. But my observations of WPS security for router WLANs and for node WLANs for the various ON/OFF and 2.4/5.0 selections were as noted above. I'm comfortable assuming the 21140 firmware is not fully-baked.

OE

That was my interpretation of the GUI options, and probably how it should behave. But my observations of WPS security for router WLANs and for node WLANs for the various ON/OFF and 2.4/5.0 selections were as noted above. I'm comfortable assuming the 21140 firmware is not fully-baked.

OE
It can only be activated for one band as on clients (Windows) you wont see any band and if they got same SSID for 2G 5G you cant define which you are connecting to, so it is bound to one band and that you will connect to.

It can only be activated for one band as on clients (Windows) you wont see any band and if they got same SSID for 2G 5G you cant define which you are connecting to, so it is bound to one band and that you will connect to.

WiFi Analyzer shows WPS security activated/present on both bands at the router... that's all.

OE

WiFi Analyzer shows WPS security activated/present on both bands at the router... that's all.

OE
Whatever, WPS doesn't work anymore on both of my routers 68U/86U 2G or 5G.
Deleted my connection on Windows-PC and try to connect with WPS-button, Windows will find them to be WPS-enabled but get error similar to (translated) "cannot retrieve data to connect to this network".

Whereever I try any setting it doesnt work on these (cant say without to be rude) routers.
Only way to use them is if you turn on with defaults and luckily can use it as it is.
Cant say how disappointed I am with this buggy ...

Last edited:
Whatever, WPS doesn't work anymore on both of my routers 68U/86U 2G or 5G.
Deleted my connection on Windows-PC and try to connect with WPS-button, Windows will find them to be WPS-enabled but get error similar to (translated) "cannot retrieve data to connect to this network".

Whereever I try any setting it doesnt work on these (cant say without to be rude) routers.
Only way to use them is if you turn on with defaults and luckily can use it as it is.
Cant say how disappointed I am with this buggy ...

So, WPS is enabled but doesn't work on latest firmware... that's a new one. Given LimJK's report that ON/OFF works across nodes, and your report that ON is not usable, if sounds like ASUS left WPS in disrepair. Maybe others will report similar, or otherwise.

OE

So, WPS is enabled but doesn't work on latest firmware... that's a new one. Given LimJK's report that ON/OFF works across nodes, and your report that ON is not usable, if sounds like ASUS left WPS in disrepair. Maybe others will report similar, or otherwise.

OE
not on my win10 PC, maybe on others, dont want to test them all.
Aimesh (where WPS is needed too) still working, paired last week for a test and both ways without any trouble.

OE
OzarkEdge,

See the 2 screenshots when I turn WPS ON/OFF on my AiMesh Router that gets propogated to both AiMesh Nodes. I am not as adventurous as Grisu :) as I leave almost all my NVRAM settings, especially my WiFi settings as default and don't have issues with my WiFi :):

AiMesh Router WPS ON.png
AiMesh Router WPS OFF.png

OzarkEdge,

See the 2 screenshots when I turn WPS ON/OFF on my AiMesh Router that gets propogated to both AiMesh Nodes. I am not as adventurous as Grisu :) as I leave almost all my NVRAM settings, especially my WiFi settings as default and don't have issues with my WiFi :):

View attachment 14369 View attachment 14370
You are 100% correct, Acrylic showing same WPS 1.0 on 2G and 5G SSID on both of mine too.
But not sure to believe Acrylic, reported them 4 bugs 2 months ago, one major will be solved with next release and 3 minor!!!
Select channel 132 with 40MHz and it will show false extended channel (e.g. 36+40 will be shown in list as 32+36 but in graph correct as 36+40)!

Despite in GUI you have to suppose different behavior to be enabled only for actual selected band, as you have to disable it before you can enable it for the other band.
So hard to believe though you have to disable for selected band first, it will be reenabled after choosing other band and enable WPS for that! :confused::mad::oops: -> NEXT BUG FOUND that never will be fixed !!!

However Win10 tries but doesnt connect in my system, returns with an error and have to manually set password.

And so I only believe what I see -> NOT WORKING for ME, maybe others got more luck ...

I always turn WPS off after setting up the nodes as it is a huge security risk.

8 digit pin is really only 7 digits as the 8th number is a checksum digit.

It would only take about 10,000-11,000 guesses to crack the PIN which would not take long at all for any modern computer or even a smartphone.

I always turn WPS off after setting up the nodes as it is a huge security risk.

8 digit pin is really only 7 digits as the 8th number is a checksum digit.

It would only take about 10,000-11,000 guesses to crack the PIN which would not take long at all for any modern computer or even a smartphone.
KevTech,

There were some earlier discussions here, where Richard Li used REAVER and some other methods to crack the PIN with no success:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-25#post-384406

However, I have turned WPS = OFF now :). If I remember correctly, for the recent FW(s) that propagates some additional NVRAM settings from AiMesh Router to AiMesh Nodes, I think WPS will be turned ON automatically when searching for AiMesh Nodes; I have not tried it yet - will try it during the next FW update with WPS = OFF.

However, I have turned WPS = OFF now :). If I remember correctly, for the recent FW(s) that propagates some additional NVRAM settings from AiMesh Router to AiMesh Nodes, I think WPS will be turned ON automatically when searching for AiMesh Nodes; I have not tried it yet - will try it during the next FW update with WPS = OFF.
no need to test, done this some weeks ago.
You will get a window telling WPS to be enabled when you search for AiMesh-nodes.
After connecting you can turn off again.

OzarkEdge,

For current version, with DSL-AC68U as router, and RT-AC68U as node, with last firmwares on both, when you deactivate WPS on router, it deactivate it on router, but NOT propagate it to the nodes, as you can see in the image attached.

This is causing problems for all the PDAs of our warehouse, that don't accept WPS. when I deactivate it, they connect to the router, but not to the node.

All the phones, PC's and others, navigate ok between the mesh.

Could I deactive the WPS on the node alone? is there any way to do it? I tried several times to access the GUI of the node, but it redirects me to the router, even by wire, and when I deactivate it, the node didn't seem to take care of it.

screenshot-20181220-210508-1981883.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181220-210508.jpg
    Screenshot_20181220-210508.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:

Here's what WiFi Analyzer now reports for 45149 WPS... when it's OFF, it's OFF for both bands, all nodes, all WLANs. So, OFF works all around now on my 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh.

I keep it OFF except for when adding a node.

OE

I have checked the firmware on both again with the check for updates and in the Asus web, no possible updates at all. But I realised that the last firmware for the DSL-AC68U (my router) is older than the one you said. The RT-AC68U (node) is up to the form you said.

45149 (yours now)>21140 (yours before)> 21128 (mine now...)

I think that maybe there is any differences in propagation of the WPS attributes between versions. I will try to change their purpose (node to router and router to node) and see what happens. I hope this will fix this problem.

(I don't understand why Asus don't keep the DSL as updated as the great RT series, they are the same router only with a dedicated internal ethernet port for ADSL modem purposes. All updates are downloadable always many many months later for the DSL product line)

I post an image of the actual firms (don't mind the inactive status of the RT, I and trying many things just now and is rebooting
IMG_20181220_225202.jpg
)

I think that maybe there is any differences in propagation of the WPS attributes between versions. I will try to change their purpose (node to router and router to node) and see what happens. I hope this will fix this problem.

That's worth a try.

I guess if you can do that, then you are not using the integrated DSL modem. It's probably the integrated DSL bit that is holding the firmware back... yet another problem with too much all-in-oneness.

OE