What's new

Can I perform WAN aggregation with the AX88U and two separate ISP gateways from the same vendor?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have T-Mobile Home Internet using NR5G wireless connection, let us say I have two of their gateways each one with it’s own IMEI and connected to the same tower behind CGNAT, can I agregate both Ethernet links from each gateway into the AX88U’s WAN and LAN 4 ports to enable WAN aggregation?

Two gateways will be two separate WAN connections. WAN Aggregation won't work. Perhaps you can try Dual WAN* in Load Balance mode, but you won't gain any speed for single connection. You won't gain any reliability as well. Cell tower overloaded or down - your both connections slow or down.

* - doesn't work reliably in Asuswrt

Two gateways will be two separate WAN connections. WAN Aggregation won't work. Perhaps you can try Dual WAN* in Load Balance mode, but you won't gain any speed for single connection. You won't gain any reliability as well. Cell tower overloaded or down - your both connections slow or down.

* Will it work reliably with Merlin FW?

* Will it work reliably with Merlin FW?

No. There is no change to Dual WAN functionality in Asuswrt-Merlin. It uses whatever was provided from Asuswrt base.

No. There is no change to Dual WAN functionality in Asuswrt-Merlin. It uses whatever was provided from Asuswrt base.
Thank you, what type of device would I need to enable WAN aggregation? Is it even possible with this configuration?

Understand, what’s the criteria for load balancing? If a link is slower than the other will route traffic to other one? Or the load balancing will be based on traffic itself, more traffic on one link and new traffic will go to the other one?

Only ISPs can enable/offer true WAN aggregation. Everything else isn't.

Use the equipment you have and try it. Just because it doesn't work for some, it won't work for you too.

The router doesn't (can't) use sophisticated load-balancing algorithms. Test and see if it works for you.

As already noted, you won't get faster than the single connection speeds with any one client. But you may/should get the combined speeds from multiple clients. The reason is that a single client cannot jump from one WAN connection to another for any one session of network activity. But multiple, concurrent clients behave like that, overall.

If a link is slower than the other will route traffic to other one?

No, different connections will use different WAN links regardless of speed or latency. No single connection will exceed the speed of the WAN link it uses. You can assign devices to specific WAN or set ratio. Asuswrt implementation is really basic. If you need Multi WAN with proper fail over/back + load balancing this home router is not the proper equipment. You need business class router or x86 box with pfSense/OPNsense + knowledge.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!