What's new

Can I see WPA3 clients from router? (AX88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrRederick

Occasional Visitor
Upgraded last weekend and enabled WPA3 and found my laptop can’t be updated so now on WPA3/WPA2 joint mode.
In theory my iOS devices should be using WPA3 but I can’t see a way to tell.

Is there anything on the router GUI that would help?

thanks!

Upgraded last weekend and enabled WPA3 and found my laptop can’t be updated so now on WPA3/WPA2 joint mode.

thanks!

Did you find a way to achieve this? I just upgraded to 384.15 and have wifi6 enabled in both radios but can't find a way to see if any client connected in wpa3. Samsung s10 was supposed to use wpa3 but I can't find a way to check

I'm currently set to WPA2/WPA3 mode and if I check the settings of the connected network it shows this.

Try setting it to WPA3 on the router only then check if the phone can connect if connected then check the settings on the network from the phone.

I also have a Galaxy S10.

Well I realized the wifi status icon in the phone changed adding a little 6 to it. If I disable wifi6 in the router that goes away. I noticed the 6 since back when I installed thee ax88 router and enabled ax, before I flashed it with the new wpa3 firmware - so the phone icon is not related to wpa3 support.

The phone does connect when using wpa3-only so I guess it works. It would be nice to see in the router / client list which clients are better secured/ what auth and encryption they are using

My OnePlus 7 shows it in the Wi-Fi connected setting.
upload_2020-2-17_11-50-6.png

Did you find a way to achieve this?
Sadly no. I have a OnePlus 7 Pro myself which shows it, but the Apple iOS devices don't. I can't tell if the Amazon Fire TV or other devices support WPA3 without turning off WPA2, which I know stops my Lenovo Yoga (Intel WiFi chip) from working.

WPA3 will be a very slow changeover if we don't know which manufacturers to shame into updating their kit.

thanks!
I solved my encryption problem like this. Main network with "trusted" only WPA3 devices and wired. Then a always on guest network for WPA2 devices (in my case only access to internet and not local network).
Connect to main network if possible. Then it's WPA3 capable. If not use the "retro" guest network [emoji6]

RT-AX88U - just one of the latest Merlin firmwares and nothing else -

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!