What's new

Can I use all my ASUS mech devices with an Ethernet non ASUS router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJW75

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I have three AX ASUS mesh units with an AX86U working as the router with the other two connecting to it, currently wirelessly, to create a mech network.

I want to install Ethernet and ideally use a wired non-WiFi router which supports 2.5Gbe.

Would I still be able to use my ASUS routers to create a mech network? But with each router wired to the non-WiFi non-ASUS router? In my head I feel like ASUS needs one of them to be ‘in charge’ of the mech network - so I feel like this won’t work.

Thanks.

Hi. I have three AX ASUS mesh units with an AX86U working as the router with the other two connecting to it, currently wirelessly, to create a mech network.

I want to install Ethernet and ideally use a wired non-WiFi router which supports 2.5Gbe.

Would I still be able to use my ASUS routers to create a mech network? But with each router wired to the non-WiFi non-ASUS router? In my head I feel like ASUS needs one of them to be ‘in charge’ of the mech network - so I feel like this won’t work.

Thanks.

AiMesh will work in AP Mode:

ISP <wire> non-AiMesh router <wire> AiMesh root node in AP Mode <wired/wireless> AiMesh node(s)

OE

Awesome, thanks. Can the 2 mesh node connect via the non-Mesh router? Or do they have to connect direct to the Access Point ASUS unit? With only one 2.5Gbe port on each ASUS unit I won’t be able to get 2.5Gbe to the nodes if it has to go direct from the ASUS AP.

PS. I know I won’t get much more than 1Gb wirelessly anyway, but I want to future proof the wired elements as much as possible.

Awesome, thanks. Can the 2 mesh node connect via the non-Mesh router?

AiMesh = AiMesh router/AP root node + AiMesh node(s)

ISP <wire> non-AiMesh router <wire> AiMesh root node in AP Mode <wired/wireless> AiMesh node(s)

AiMesh is self-contained and connects as shown.

Use the router FAQ Search to find ASUS instructions.

Or do they have to connect direct to the Access Point ASUS unit?

AiMesh nodes connect to the AiMesh root node as is shown.

With only one 2.5Gbe port on each ASUS unit I won’t be able to get 2.5Gbe to the nodes if it has to go direct from the ASUS AP.

2.5GbE requires matching 2.5GbE or better Ethernet ports. If you don't have them, you can't use them.

PS. I know I won’t get much more than 1Gb wirelessly anyway, but I want to future proof the wired elements as much as possible.

You can only do with the equipment you've got.

OE

Simply run all the units in AP mode, each with their full feed from the switch. Management will be a touch more tedious, but can/will also be more comprehensive.

Guest Network in AP Mode has no separation from main network.