What's new

Diversion CAN or CANNOT Diversion block ads in the Apple News app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

festus77

Occasional Visitor
Good afternoon all - I've been researching this subject for a few days now, but am unable to find a definitive answer. I like the look and feel of the News app, but it is just littered with ads.

Thanks,
festus

If you can suss out how to make them disappear, the YouTube blocking crowd would like to talk to you, I'm sure.

Pretty sure it requires CNAME deep inspection @festus77 . I don't see any ads in the Apple News app with Pi-hole for example (I'd imagine the same is true for Adguard Home which also supports it).

I don't think this is something that Diversion can solve; I believe dnsmasq would need to add this functionality for it to "work" in Diversion.

Or try this list:

Here are the exact blocklists that I use in Pi-hole:

Last edited:
Pretty sure it requires CNAME deep inspection @festus77 . I don't see any ads in the Apple News app with Pi-hole for example (I'd imagine the same is true for Adguard Home which also supports it).

I don't think this is something that Diversion can solve; I believe dnsmasq would need to add this functionality for it to "work" in Diversion.

Or try this list:

Here are the exact blocklists that I use in Pi-hole:

Thanks so much HairyA00 !!!!!!!
I'll look into this a little more in depth later today.

Edit: About 5 hours later - been reading Apple News app for about an hour now - no ad after adding "EasyPrivacy" list to AdGuard.
Thank you! Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks so much HairyA00 !!!!!!!
I'll look into this a little more in depth later today.

Edit: About 5 hours later - been reading Apple News app for about an hour now - no ad after adding "EasyPrivacy" list to AdGuard.
Thank you! Thank you!
Good news, I'm glad you got it working. Where did you find the EasyPrivacy list? It doesn't seem to be in the standard AdGuardHome collection of lists.

thanks,

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!