What's new

Entware Can someone do a simple step-by-step guide on how to set up Seafile Server via Entware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stebrick

Regular Contributor
I heard Seafile is heavy but much faster than NextCloud, but there are not much guides on how to install it via Entware.

I tried to install it. After “opkg install seafile-server”, everything seems to be installed smoothly. It told me it attempted to launch the server but may fail if it’s my first time installing it. Then it gives no further indications or errors. I dont know what to do next, what to configure next.

This is the only guide available but none of those commands seem to be working (e.g. -sh: setup-seafile: not found). https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/seafile-server

I'd be much appreciated if someone can write a simple step-by-step guide on this subject for newbies.

I heard Seafile is heavy but much faster than NextCloud, but there are not much guides on how to install it via Entware.

I tried to install it. After “opkg install seafile-server”, everything seems to be installed smoothly. It told me it attempted to launch the server but may fail if it’s my first time installing it. Then it gives no further indications or errors. I dont know what to do next, what to configure next.

This is the only guide available but none of those commands seem to be working (e.g. -sh: setup-seafile: not found). https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/net/seafile-server

I'd be much appreciated if someone can write a simple step-by-step guide on this subject for newbies.

I was interested enough to poke at this a bit, it does seem within my limited skill set, and I thought about having a go at it. I quickly got discouraged, so I regret to say I'm of no help to you. Good luck!

Heavy looks like an understatement: de-duplication, encryption, snapshotting. I can see why the minimum for the pro version is 2-core, 2 gig memory. Presumbly this is HND only, but maybe for one or two users and low usage it could have a go?

A few years ago I decided to move away from using the router as a file server and instead set up a TrueNAS server out of spare parts. I commend to you the idea of using the router as a router, and an NAS as an NAS. I don't quite follow doing snapshotting if you aren't first dealing with drive failure first, and you can't do that here.

I would echo elorimer's sentiment regarding the suitability of running these sorts of services on a router. Single board computers are low cost and very reliable, for example Hardkernel Odroid or Raspberry Pi (I'm running the former) and alllow you to run a full server Linux distribution with all the benefits, power consumption apart from the spinning rust is neglible.

I was interested enough to poke at this a bit, it does seem within my limited skill set, and I thought about having a go at it. I quickly got discouraged, so I regret to say I'm of no help to you. Good luck!

Heavy looks like an understatement: de-duplication, encryption, snapshotting. I can see why the minimum for the pro version is 2-core, 2 gig memory. Presumbly this is HND only, but maybe for one or two users and low usage it could have a go?

A few years ago I decided to move away from using the router as a file server and instead set up a TrueNAS server out of spare parts. I commend to you the idea of using the router as a router, and an NAS as an NAS. I don't quite follow doing snapshotting if you aren't first dealing with drive failure first, and you can't do that here.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to give it a try and see how good (or bad) it is...hence asking for some simple steps to set it up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!