What's new

Can someone give me dummy guide on access LAN ip with OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nomnomnom

Occasional Visitor
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 2.51.45 PM.png
I know there are a lot of threads here on this forum, but I just can't figure it out. I'm not a networking expert so I might need simple step by step guide. Here are my current settings

My router ip is 192.168.0.1

I can connect to openvpn from my iphone but I can't access any of the local ips (such as 192.168.0.200 etc)

How are you trying to access the local devices? Many devices (like Windows PC's) will by default block access from devices on non-local networks, such as your VPN client.

How are you trying to access the local devices? Many devices (like Windows PC's) will by default block access from devices on non-local networks, such as your VPN client.

Just from my browser, I have simple web servers running on say 192.168.0.200. So I just tried to opend 192.168.0.200 from an iOS browser.

Also, ping will not work, I cannot ping 192.168.0.200

But I can ping 192.168.0.1 (which is the gateway and vpn server)

Have you got any other devices on your LAN that you can try to access, like a network printer with a web interface?

Have you got any other devices on your LAN that you can try to access, like a network printer with a web interface?

Hmm interesting I was able to ping other devices in the lan, like .66 or .80 but nothing works outside of ping

I have a garage opener with web server, I cant access that server either

I have a macbook with ssh open at .217. I can ping .217 but I cannot connect via ssh

Is there just a simple way for me to behave like a lan citizen with openvpn? Should I just change my vpn ip setting?

Is there just a simple way for me to behave like a lan citizen with openvpn?
The usual method is to use a TAP connection instead of TUN. That way your client becomes part of the LAN. Unfortunately IIRC Apple doesn't let you do this.
Should I just change my vpn ip setting?
No that won't help, and in fact will make things worse.

The usual method is to use a TAP connection instead of TUN. That way your client becomes part of the LAN. Unfortunately IIRC Apple doesn't let you do this.

That is correct, I cannot use TAP. That has to be a way to make TUN work...please, can someone let me know how?

Please go to the General tab for the vpn server (not Advanced) and change the setting of:

“Client will use vpn to access”

to Both (assuming it’s not on Both now).

Does that fix it?

And welcome to our forum!

Please go to the General tab for the vpn server (not Advanced) and change the setting of:

“Client will use vpn to access”

to Both (assuming it’s not on Both now).

Does that fix it?

And welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry am I on the wrong screen? I don't see that option

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 4.47.27 PM.png

No wonder. I’m looking at 384.9.

Is your router one that is no longer supported and cannot be upgraded beyond 380.70?

Ok. Sorry: I should not have assumed you were using 384.9.

You might want to read.L&LD’s comments here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-error-please-refresh-page.55089/#post-466914

I’m sorry it doesn’t help answer your question. And I don’t know if John’s fork has OpenVPN - I assume it does, but perhaps I’ve assumed too much already.

Meanwhile, I’ll have another think about your original question.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

At a high level can someone explain why openvpn is such pain in the butt to use? I've used pptp and l2tp before many years ago. Openvpn is the only vpn I use where after a successful connection you actually can't connect to anything. You have to mess with iptables and directives and all kind of crap. Why?? The whole point of vpn is to allow you to simulate a lan environment I thought? What is openvpn doing??

One thing to try, but I doubt it will work is the setting:

“Direct clients to redirect internet traffic”

When I was using your firmware, I had it set to Yes . (I had all 4 settings in that group set to Yes)

So all I can suggest is try changing it, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t help!

When I was using your firmware, I had it set to Yes . (I had all 4 settings in that group set to Yes)

So all I can suggest is try changing it, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t help!

What custom configuration did you use? Do mine look correct?

Actually we've made progress! By turning on "direct clients", regular internet traffic broke as well! So nothing works now! :p

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

At a high level can someone explain why openvpn is such pain in the butt to use? I've used pptp and l2tp before many years ago. Openvpn is the only vpn I use where after a successful connection you actually can't connect to anything. You have to mess with iptables and directives and all kind of crap. Why?? The whole point of vpn is to allow you to simulate a lan environment I thought? What is openvpn doing??
Maybe you are goung too deep. OpenVPN is, from my non-expert experience, incredibly easy to get working. Nowadays, you don’t need to know anything about iptables or public key infrastructure to set it up. In fact, it’s better if you don’t because all the keys and certs are created for you behind the scenes as if by magic. All you need to do is import the .ovpn file into the client. A bit of knowledge of the subject really can be hindrance; there was a time when you really did need to be knowledgeable to set it up. But not now (unless you have special requirements).

Actually we've made progress! By turning on "direct clients", regular internet traffic broke as well! So nothing works now! :p
Well that’s strange. Is there anything in the log of the OpenVPN app/program on the remote client device that gives a clue?

As I said earlier, my options in that block of 4 settings were all set to Yes and I could access the LAN and also jump back out of the router to access the Internet.