What's new

Can you block X-VPN on a AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D_Day

Is it possible to block X-VPN on my AC86U without disabling vpn access altogether?
I have a child that is using x-vpn to bypass the restrictions that have been put in place but I can’t disable all vpn traffic as I have a vpn setup on the router. I’ve tried several DNS filtering services but nothing will block X-vpn.
Can anyone help?

According to this document and this the ports X-VPN uses aren't fixed so you would need to perform some sort of proxying or deep packet inspection to stand any chance of blocking it. Unless AiProtection has the ability to do that (I don't know because I don't use it) nothing else on the router has that capability.

A
Is it possible to block X-VPN on my AC86U without disabling vpn access altogether?
I have a child that is using x-vpn to bypass the restrictions that have been put in place but I can’t disable all vpn traffic as I have a vpn setup on the router. I’ve tried several DNS filtering services but nothing will block X-vpn.
Can anyone help?

Apply CleanBrowsing DNS Family to the device. Merlin has included it under the Parental Controls section.

Can anyone help?

Well - in the absence of mad parenting skills... now it not time to be nice, be very direct, and show them this pic...

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 8.19.28 PM.png

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hammers-pry-bars/4-lb-drilling-hammer-98258.html

Good luck!

Can anyone help?
Then the only way to block them is to block theirs ip-number of that vpnservice.

According to this document and this the ports X-VPN uses aren't fixed so you would need to perform some sort of proxying or deep packet inspection to stand any chance of blocking it. Unless AiProtection has the ability to do that (I don't know because I don't use it) nothing else on the router has that capability.
So basically there is nothing I can do at the moment?

How would I find their IP address?
I have looked at their site and they have alot of servers. But maybe you can monitor their connection and take it IP out from that.
It's a lot of investigation to do that.

Did you try setting the device in LAN/DNS-filter?
Enable DNS-based Filtering =ON
Global Filter Mode = Router
And set the kids device there to Cleanbrowsing Family

Did you try setting the device in LAN/DNS-filter?
Enable DNS-based Filtering =ON
Global Filter Mode = Router
And set the kids device there to Cleanbrowsing Family
I have tried that, it won’t block X-Vpn.
It’s so frustrating!

1: Change WiFi password or their access (pull the plug)..
2: See how they like X-VPN then
3: A long talk about respecting your rules
4: If they want the new WiFi password (or access back) You first install a admin app that controls what apps is allowed on the device, (if they download a new app you need to approve it first) (something like F-Secure app)
5: Hopefully control is back

1: Change WiFi password or their access (pull the plug)..
2: See how they like X-VPN then
3: A long talk about respecting your rules
4: If they want the new WiFi password (or access back) You first install a admin app that controls what apps is allowed on the device, (if they download a new app you need to approve it first) (something like F-Secure app)
5: Hopefully control is back
That is the exact route I’m taking at the moment lol
I’m resetting the router, changing the password and locking him out as we speak.
I have also found out that he has been spoofing his MAC address on his laptop to getting around the restrictions so now I have to find a way of stopping that

I feel for you.... had one that did that - in grad school now. He resorted to logging onto the neighbors wifi.

I have tried that, it won’t block X-Vpn.
It’s so frustrating!

Including a full power off and wait 10 minutes before powering up the router again?

Think it can be the MAC-Spoofing that can be the issue also
Guess a faster way to test that, Is to set Global Filter Mode = Cleanbrowsing Family
But first test your own device in the DNS-Filter so you dont lock yourself out (So you still can access router gui) or you may need to access router with cable

Last edited: