What's new

Can you guys explain Home Plug and how it would work with my set up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, I was wondering if you guys can tell me about home plugs, I have a Shop with a man cave upstairs that is about 100 to 130 Ft from my home. I Ran the Elec underground to my shop from my home but had issues when I went to run the other wiring. I will at some point dig it back up but for now I want to get good fast internet out there.

I was told to look into the Home plug. Any advice and tips would be great. Thanks

It should work well for you and is probably the best solution. It is probably a better choice than setting up a wireless bridge.

Look at the rankings and reviews on this site a buy a a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapter from someplace you can return them if you are not satisfied with the results.

The set up is simple. Plug one adapter directly into a wall outlet near your router and run an Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter. IN the man cave plug the adapter directly into a wall and your computer into the Ethernet jack.

If you want WiFi plug an AP or repurposed router into the Ethernet jack instead.

Home plug requires almost no setup. You can enable some security so if your neighbor would happen to purchase some adapters he can't see your network.

You probably won't get the full speed of your Internet connection in the man cave but this is still the best option.

There are tips and recommendations on this site on how to minimize interference and improve your connection if you are not satisfied with the results out of the box. Electric motors and wall wart power adapters can have a negative impact on speeds.

Hi, I was wondering if you guys can tell me about home plugs, I have a Shop with a man cave upstairs that is about 100 to 130 Ft from my home. I Ran the Elec underground to my shop from my home but had issues when I went to run the other wiring. I will at some point dig it back up but for now I want to get good fast internet out there.

I was told to look into the Home plug. Any advice and tips would be great. Thanks

If you ran TV coax out there, better than HomePlug would be IP over coax, shared with TV. See the MoCA section in this forum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156434 so I would need two of these? Are there certain brands that are better then others?

I would then need a router in the garage if I wanted Wireless?

Does it matter what router? Do I need a good one?

Would I be able to stream a movie? What about gaming ? PS3? Flash games?

When I do get the coax out there I will cross that bridge, I get a touch over whelmed with this stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156434 so I would need two of these? Are there certain brands that are better then others?

I would then need a router in the garage if I wanted Wireless?

Does it matter what router? Do I need a good one?

Would I be able to stream a movie? What about gaming ? PS3? Flash games?

When I do get the coax out there I will cross that bridge, I get a touch over whelmed with this stuff.
No added router needed. The pair of devices (HomePlue or MoCA) are just a "cat5 cable replacement". In the garage end, connect the ethernet port of the Homeplug device to a PC. Or connect it to an Ethernet switch so that many devices can connect to the switch and access the router in the house. Same for MoCA. If you need WiFi in the garage, connect a WiFi access point (AP) to the HomePlug or MoCA device. Or connect the AP to the fore-mentioned switch so you can connect PCs via wired and WiFi.
One of many examples of an AP is an ASUS RT-N12 which is $35. This product can be configured as either router or AP.

(Advanced topic: any home router can be reconfigured to be an AP; quick and easy. So if you have an unused WiFi router, it can be an AP).

I am sorry if I ask the same question and I missed it, MoCa? Do you have link to one? And what switch are you referring to? This is not a area where I have a lot of knowledge.

Moca is passing network data over a a coaxial cable (tv cable).
HomePlug/PowerLine is passing network data over an electrical wire.

In both cases you need an adapter on each end of the connection. The first one converts the ethernet signal to a signal that is better suited for the medium being used (coax or electric wire). The other side receives the signal and converts back to ethernet.

If effect the 2 adapters and wire act like a long ethernet cable to the network.

You can also get powerline adapters that have a wifi acess point built in, so you dont need to have 2 devices in the garage. (Unless you have an old/different AP you want to use).