What's new

AdGuardHome Can you hand out multiple DNS servers while running AdGuardHome on router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonW

New Around Here
So I'm currently running Diversion because when I tried AdGuardHome on my RT-AX88U and seemed to get in the way of my dnsmasq.conf.add DHCP option 6 where I was handing out some extra DNS servers. Now I know you normally only want the AdGuardHome system to be the primary DNS but I have a situation where I use this method to get around a limitation in a VPN client my work uses. The extra DNS servers I hand out aren't actually real DNS boxes on my network but the VPN client doesn't filter the traffic so I'm able to properly connect to my lab systems without headache due to the self-signed certs I use. I would have to go down this long road of setting up a valid domain and using Lets Encrypt to get official SSL certs so I could use public routable addresses if I don't have the fake DNS server method.

I just can't figure out why it seems AdGuardHome seems to override my dnsmasq.conf.add file. I noticed the same behaviour when trying to use Unbound also. It seems Diversion is the only one not causing on issue but I'm having some issues with it recording client names but I can live with that since it is at least blocking ads.

Thanks,
Jason

So I'm currently running Diversion because when I tried AdGuardHome on my RT-AX88U and seemed to get in the way of my dnsmasq.conf.add DHCP option 6 where I was handing out some extra DNS servers. Now I know you normally only want the AdGuardHome system to be the primary DNS but I have a situation where I use this method to get around a limitation in a VPN client my work uses. The extra DNS servers I hand out aren't actually real DNS boxes on my network but the VPN client doesn't filter the traffic so I'm able to properly connect to my lab systems without headache due to the self-signed certs I use. I would have to go down this long road of setting up a valid domain and using Lets Encrypt to get official SSL certs so I could use public routable addresses if I don't have the fake DNS server method.

I just can't figure out why it seems AdGuardHome seems to override my dnsmasq.conf.add file. I noticed the same behaviour when trying to use Unbound also. It seems Diversion is the only one not causing on issue but I'm having some issues with it recording client names but I can live with that since it is at least blocking ads.

Thanks,
Jason
You could try installing AdGuardHome using this tutorial:

Sorry, should have indicated I used the option from AMTM to do the install. Figured that was the best because it was included. I see if I use the manual method I could skip the part where it would take over the dnsmasq itself and I handle the redirect. That would probably solve my issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!