Cannot access asus router admin page but have full wired internet connection?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

psychbiz

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin's Firmware Version:384.15, and in the last few days have found I can access the router ONCE using the GUI, (set to http only). If I go back later, or put PC in standby, I no longer have GUI access.

However, if I restart httpd over ssh: service restart_httpd , I have access again. Definitely a bug that needs fixing.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Try testing with a different browser perhaps.

psychbiz

Regular Contributor
Try testing with a different browser perhaps.
Did all the usual things suggested in google search, including changing browsers. Same result. Wife is now working at home so reboot not an option. :) But restarting service worked. Should be unnecessary though. Its only just started occurring and I'm wondering if its because I have three router pages open in different tabs?

Ian Manning

Occasional Visitor
I've had this problem for years with my RT-AC68U, but it just seems to have got worse. Up to now, a power cycle has always restored the GUI (I could very rarely SSH into it when I lost access to the GUI). Now, even after a power cycle, it sometimes hangs after I submit the login page. I've tried a couple of browsers (Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10), and also restarted the HTTP service a few times using service restart_httpd - neither helped. The only thing that worked was repeated power cycles.
I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18. Is there a way of upgrading while retaining my settings?

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Is there a way of upgrading while retaining my settings?
That may speak for itself. With your years long problem logging into the GUI I would have long since started fresh with a clean install followed by manually configuring the router new. Including the WLAN name and settings.

Ian Manning

Occasional Visitor
That may speak for itself. With your years long problem logging into the GUI I would have long since started fresh with a clean install followed by manually configuring the router new. Including the WLAN name and settings.
Funny you should say that - the last time I upgraded I did just that. It didn't take long for the problem to reappear

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Funny you should say that - the last time I upgraded I did just that. It didn't take long for the problem to reappear
It was worth a try ;)

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
I've been having similar issues with the stability of my Asus RT-AC1900P router running Merlin (v384.19 as write this). The RT-AC1900P uses the RT-AC68U firmware, FYI. I've been finding that the stability of this router is far worse than my old Asus RT-N66U that I used to run Tomato firmware on. Basically I'm having the issue as described above where occasionally I seem to have router functionality, but am unable to access the GUI. Other times it is even worse than that - the router is just going down completely and I have no choice but to do a physical power cycle of the router when I'm home to do it.
I have done the SSH setup on the route so that I can do what was suggested here, using PUTTY and the command service restart_httpd to attempt to restart the GUI, but that rarely seems to work, if it ever did. I'm finding a manual restart of the router is required more and more now. I've taken the temporary step of using the Reboot Scheduler to do daily reboots each morning, but that creates it's own set of issues/complications with my setup. I don't consider this idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this, or what I could do differently to deal with the need to restart the router, especially if it goes down when I'm not physically at home (which often tends to be the case)?

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
Reboot the router. Lol.
it took longer to write this message then to reboot. But I get it, annoying.
If it were only that simple. The issue is not rebooting the router, it's that I'm often almost an hour drive away when it happens, and away from my house for days on end. All my household devices go offline and then I'm getting notification about it and things stop working. If I were at home all the time it wouldn't be so much an issue.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Then it’s time for you to nuclear refresh on the router. I’ve had the GUI go down, but not the whole router. Currently if been really stable with 384.19.

no body at home to reboot your router?

too bad there is not a switch to have on the cellular network as a backup.

I found this on the net...https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/diy-ish-cellular-switch-18760

Last edited:

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
Then it’s time for you to nuclear refresh on the router. I’ve had the GUI go down, but not the whole router. Currently if been really stable with 384.19.

no body at home to reboot your router?

too bad there is not a switch to have on the cellular network as a backup.

I found this on the net...https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/diy-ish-cellular-switch-18760
No, I don't have anyone at home to reboot the router when I'm not there. Interesting idea with the cellular switch, although it looks like something that is not ready off the shelf, and it definitely has an ongoing cost component to it. I've been thinking about an internet enabled power switch that would power cycle the router (and cable modem if desired) if the ethernet connection were to drop. I've been looking at this product, although I need a means to ship it to Canada where I'm located:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081TKJJBS/?tag=snbforums-20

What do you think of a device like this? Anyone here using one?

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
Good device, thou you shouldn’t really need it.

I’d still nike the router and start over in your manual setup.
I'm going to consider the nuke, but I should add... I'm seeing the same issue occasionally with the same model Asus router also running the same Merlin firmware at a second house (installed the same router/software at my GF's house). It makes me wonder if there is a slight compatibility issue between this model and the firmware.

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
You still at 384.15? Btw, I’m in London Ontario.
Nope, I'm at 384.19 on all routers, two at each locations, one as a main router, one as an AIMesh node. Duplicates setups at two houses an hour away from each other, in Mississauga and Burlington seeing as you're close enough to know where that is. Practically a neighbour!

thecheapseats

Regular Contributor
What do you think of a device like this? Anyone here using one?
I use an old independently switchable 4 ac outlet, PDU that's capable of both in-band and out of band control... it is NOT automatic sensing (nor would I want it to be)... very handy... you must be careful using any in-band device of course, for security reasons...

michae1a1ee

New Around Here
I use an old independently switchable 4 ac outlet, PDU that's capable of both in-band and out of band control... it is NOT automatic sensing (nor would I want it to be)... very handy... you must be careful using any in-band device of course, for security reasons...
How does it work then to reset your router if there is an issue while you are away from the device? Does it?

thecheapseats

Regular Contributor
for yourself, in reading about that device - auto sensing is the method for you - if it works... what I do is semi old-school out of band with junk I had laying around... old analog pots modem (yeah I know) into an ssh terminal server (bunch of serial ports plus 10baseT), then serial to the PDU and flip the power off/on...