What's new

Cannot install Merlin on AX-58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I cannot install MERLIN 387.7_2 or 386.5_2 on RT-AX58U used as an access point running 3.0.0.4.386_49674.

I have tried downloading both versions twice, but get the same error. It starts to install, but tells me that the installation has failed. Once back on line, I am still on the stock FW. I really miss the MERLIN stuff on my other routers..... so any help would be very much appreciated!

If you have a V2 version is not supported.

I came here to ask. Already I see the likely answer is my RT-AX3000 v2 is not supported as it is supposed to use the RT-AX58U firmware? If this is the case, can you tell us why this is and whether or not it will be supported in the future?

Welcome to the forums @erroneus0.

Not supported because it is different hardware.

No idea if it will be supported or not by RMerlin.

[FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question
I did read that first, however, my device is RT-AX3000 not the RTAX58Uv2 specified as not supported. There is nothing specifying RT-AX3000v2 as not supported. It's reasonable to "guess" that might be the case and the question was seeking confirmation.

I hope it does get supported though. It would otherwise be a failing in the mission of the project in the first place.

I hope it does get supported though. It would otherwise be a failing in the mission of the project in the first place.
How so? Nowhere in the mission statement do I mention intending on supporting the 60+ models Asus now has available. I have always focused on the higher end models.

It also doesn't limit the selection specifically in the mission statement as the statement is a general statement as all mission statements are. That said, generality coupled with the added support of some devices while excluding others adds to the confusion.

As for focusing on higher end models, how is RT-AX3000 not a higher end model?

It also doesn't limit the selection specifically in the mission statement as the statement is a general statement as all mission statements are. That said, generality coupled with the added support of some devices while excluding others adds to the confusion.

The AX3000 and the AX58 are the same model.

Also, if having 3rd party software support for the router you buy is critical to your purchasing decision, _you_ need to make sure that the hardware you purchase is supported by the 3rd party. In this case, a single individual who does a TON of work for the Asus community, but can in no way support every model.

<flame suit on> it's a mutant, with 3 processor cores rather than the usual multiple of 2.

The AX3000 and the AX58 are the same model.

Also, if having 3rd party software support for the router you buy is critical to your purchasing decision, _you_ need to make sure that the hardware you purchase is supported by the 3rd party. In this case, a single individual who does a TON of work for the Asus community, but can in no way support every model.
I did. Nowhere in the sales information is there a distinction between v2 or original though you can bet you can no longer get an original. To be sure I was unaware of the v2 issue or that there was a v2 of RT-AX3000. But my selection was based on the indicated support for it.

I don't have a team of 20+ engineers to support all models. As I keep repeating, this is a one-man project, done on spare time. I have to chose those I can handle with the time I can commit to this project. I'm currently even starting to turn down support of some of the higher end models because there is simply way too many models for one man to support. Also the more models I have to support, the less likely I am to be able to support all models with every release, because each individual model requires Asus to prepare and send me a 1.2 Gb source code archive. That also means I am limited by the amount of time their engineer preparing these GPL archives can devote to my needs.

Hardware-wise it sits below the RT-AX68U, RT-AX82U (two variants), RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U (all three variants), GT-AX11000 (two variants), GT-AXE11000, GT-AXE16000, GT-AX6000. And these are only the Broadcom models in their product stack.

RT-AX55U, RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U (and their bazillion variants) are all entry level AX routers.

The RT-AX58U was supported at the time because I wanted to support at least one more affordable model at the time where the cheapest AX router was $400 CAD, and I also wanted to support one device on that new SDK. It turned out to be a lot of work to support, and now that it has morphed into four or five separate models, I simply cannot devote any resource to supporting all of these variants. So I currently have no plans to support any of the newer revisions of the RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U.

That said, generality coupled with the added support of some devices while excluding others adds to the confusion.
I have no control over Asus' decisions to market new versions, causing that confusion. And I cannot magically extend my days beyond 24 hours, or quit my fulltime job to devote more time on this. It is what it is.

Just follow the list of supported models on the project website. I explicitly state which models are supported. I'm not going to start also mentioning the 60+ models that I don't support, especially as Asus is constantly releasing new models without me even knowing about their existence. That`s not how things work, and I have better things to do than trying to keep track of this.

If you have a problem with how Asus markets new model versions, complain to them, not to me.

If you have a problem with how Asus markets new model versions, complain to them, not to me.
Yes that is where ASUS screwed me over. But that said, if you were to update the list of what's not supported to include RT-AX3000 v2, I would have known to seek out the distinction.

Yes that is where ASUS screwed me over. But that said, if you were to update the list of what's not supported to include RT-AX3000 v2, I would have known to seek out the distinction.
Not gonna happen. I'm not going to maintain a list of the dozens of unsupported models, and constantly waste my time trying to find out if Asus just released new models that I should add to the list. That's completely backward.

When you download any software, it does not list the 250+ Linux distros it cannot run on. It will only lists those it's known to run on.

So why did you list that RT-AX58U v2 is not supported? You did. I read it. I just didn't know that they were the same as RT-AX3000 v2. It's not clear and a consumer has no way of knowing without an unusually deep dive.

As I stated, I guessed (after the fact) that the "v2" attached to my AX3000 is the reason I can't get the new firmware installed. But I did read where AX58Uv2 wasn't supported and I wouldn't have gotten that.

As it stands, the list indicates AX3000 is supported with no distinction nor indication that a "v2" exists for that model and similarly isn't supported as the AX58Uv2.

So while you will update your list to state plainly AX58Uv2 is not supported but you won't clarify this for other people to prevent them from making the same mistake I made? All of that over not wanting to add the same mention as the one you included for AX58Uv2? I never imagined adding a short mention was so much work.

So why did you list that RT-AX58U v2 is not supported?
I added it a few weeks ago as I got tired of being asked about that particular model, and someone just like you kept arguing that I should list non-supported models. And to be honest, I even forgot I had actually added it. Which shows just how irrealist it is to expect me to maintain an up to date list of every single unsupported models.

I'm gonna simply remove it, and will stick to my original decision of not trying to start documenting every single exceptions.

Thank you RMerlin for all your effots. I do understand the issue and will continue with the AX58U as an AP on ASUS FW. I do miss some functions, but it is not a big issue for me. My AX88U is my main router and it works very well on Merlin FW.

Thank you RMerlin for all your effots. I do understand the issue and will continue with the AX58U as an AP on ASUS FW. I do miss some functions, but it is not a big issue for me. My AX88U is my main router and it works very well on Merlin FW.
There are very little benefits of going with Asuswrt-Merlin on an AP, except maybe for the improved Wireless Client page.

Didn't even know at the time I bought my ax58u that there is a merlin firmware or a vpn kill-switch. Now I need it :D
What would be the most safe to go model?