What's new

Cannot migrate from DD-WRT to Merlin on RT-AC68R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billl

New Around Here
Hi-
I am unable to flash Merlin on an Asus RT-AC68R that is currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r40559. This details my last attempts:
  1. Remove all Ethernet cables from the router except for 1 computer
  2. Reset NVV RAM using the WPS button while powering on router until power light fast blinks
  3. Enter recovery mode pressing the reset button while powering on router until power light slow blinks
  4. Open firmware restoration utility (Rescue 2102)
  5. Browse to firmware filename. I have tried the following firmware, all with the same result
    1. Merlin RT-AC68U_384.19_0.trx
    2. Merlin RT-AC68U_378.55_0.trx
    3. Asuswrt RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_40558-gc48f410.trx
  6. Click Upload button
Every time the process runs for 31 to 33 seconds until it says the router is not in recovery mode, but it is and the power light is still slow blinking.

Any ideas to help me migrate this router? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

-Bill

Thanks for the response, Peter. I performed the steps I cited above using the firmware version RT-AC68U_374.43_27E5j9527.trx (which I am pretty sure is the one cited in the thread you mention). Same result: it runs for 31 seconds and then says the router is not in recovery mode.

Any other ideas?

Just as a double check, you did set your PC to a static IP address such as 192.168.1.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Setting a gateway and DNS is not needed to use the rescue tool. Also might be a good idea to turn off the firewall and antivirus/malware on the PC.

Ha! That did it. Thanks @bbunge and @dave14305.
Just setting the static IP wasn't enough, I had to use the MiniCFE page too.
For anyone with the same problem, here is the complete procedure:
  1. Download the appropriate firmware from https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo&id=9332FC159A7E129!2544&cid=09332FC159A7E129
  2. Remove all Ethernet cables from the router except for the main computer
  3. Be sure the main computer uses static IP
  4. Reset NVV RAM using the WPS button while powering on router until power light fast blinks
  5. Enter recovery mode pressing the reset button while powering on router until power light slow blinks
  6. Open the MiniCFE page at 192.168.1.1
  7. Browse to firmware filename
  8. Upload the firmware
  9. If you want to load the latest firmware for your router, download it and repeat steps 2 - 8

One question: I don't understand why intermediate firmware is needed (step 1). If the router can load the latest firmware at all, shouldn't it be able to load it when DD-WRT is installed?

Again, thanks much all the help and the super-speedy replies.

-Bill

One question: I don't understand why intermediate firmware is needed (step 1). If the router can load the latest firmware at all, shouldn't it be able to load it when DD-WRT is installed?
DD-WRT uses a smaller flash partition to hold the firmware than is needed by the latest Asuswrt. So you first must load a firmware that will fit into the smaller DD-WRT partition that will then expand the partition to accept the later levels.