What's new

Cannot update Firmware on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jnb72

New Around Here
Hi,

Apologies if this is a repeat - I can see that this has been raised a few times in older threads but I can't find one that solves my specific problem...

I have the RT-AC86U router and am embarrassed to say it's got the original firmware on it (3.0.0.4.384_32738). I've never managed to get it to update and have always parked it for another day. So, having finally got round to trying to sort it out I'm stuck. I have the same problem as others have reported in that going through the WebGUI it will not connect to the servers

1624561433218.png

So i have downloaded the firmware from Asus, extracted and verified (I think) and then used the manual update. Each time I try, it takes a while to think about it then comes up with a window that says installation failed but then proceeds to spend 5 minutes going from 0 to 100% installing it (as below)

1624561579309.png

Once complete, the router will reboot and I've also manually done this but each time I'm left with the same Firmware version as previously. Any suggestions?

I have tried the latest firmware (FW_RT_AC86U_300438642643) as well as an older one (FW_RT_AC86U_300438432799) in case I'd jumped too many in one go. I get the same problem with both

Thanks for the reply - I have now sorted this but not really sure why it worked. I'd been trying to do this via a laptop and lan cable connected directly to the router. I tried connecting with both Chrome and Edge but got the same result with both.

However, out of desperation I installed the Android Asus app and connected on there. As soon as I went to system it showed there was an update available and it installed first go. I don't understand why....

One other point of interest, the version it installed does not appear to quite as new as the one available from the asus site. But everything says that this is the most up to date version so I'll take it

1624564414089.png

The firmware you state that didn't flash properly (FW_RT_AC86U_300438642643) in post 1, is older than the firmware you actually got to flash (FW_RT_AC86U_300438643129). :)

The firmware you state that didn't flash properly (FW_RT_AC86U_300438642643) in post 1, is older than the firmware you actually got to flash (FW_RT_AC86U_300438643129). :)
You're right - sorry been staring at the screen for ages and didn't spot the 3xxx vs 2xxx. Seems it worked perfectly then. Would still like to know why it worked on the phone and no other way but I guess I should just be happy it's resolved

One other point of interest, the version it installed does not appear to quite as new as the one available from the asus site. But everything says that this is the most up to date version so I'll take it
The images you posted in messages #1 and #3 suggest you have an AC68, not an AC86.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!