What's new

Can't Access SSH via WAN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muffintastic

Hello.

I have SSH enabled on an external AC86U also via WAN access on a high random port, however when i try to connect to it via DDNS hostname it comes up with "No Router to Host" or Times Out even though it's enabled. The only way to fix this is by again doing a factory reset, formatting external thumb drive and starting from scratch.

I have Skynet installed, Secure Mode disabled.

This has happened on two RTAC86 and occaisionly on a 68U too. Is this a bug on the .19 FW? I don't want to start from scratch again if i can help it. When it's set to Lan Only it will work.

I've attached my syslog.txt for the affected router i'm having issues with.

Your paste is set to *private*, making it inaccessible. It needs to be either public or unlisted.

Well the first thing that caught my attention in that syslog was the fact you're using the OpenVPN client at the same time, which brings up the following potential issue.

Well the first thing that caught my attention in that syslog was the fact you're using the OpenVPN client at the same time, which brings up the following potential issue.

@eibgrad
Disabled the VPN, reset the VPN details to Default, still no success.

Since a reset of the router seems to fix it, that raises the question of what change actually triggers the problem. So far it appears to NOT be the OpenVPN client. But then there's Skynet, and since I know little about it other than it's a sophisticated script, this begs the question whether *this* is the triggering event.

IOW, you have to methodically, step by step, determine exactly when things go south. Ideally w/ a virgin router configuration. Otherwise, methodically eliminating changes one by one until it works again.

Found this in the syslog!

Oct 2 19:14:23 Skynet: [!] Insecure Setting Detected - Disabling WAN SSH Access
Oct 2 19:14:23 Skynet: [!] Insecure Setting Detected - Disabling WAN GUI Access

@eibgrad - I've disabled DoT and just running normal 8.8.8.8 WAN DNS and i have now got SSH back again over WAN on one of my RTAC86U, Skynet Securmode IS disabled.

@eibgrad - I've disabled DoT and just running normal 8.8.8.8 WAN DNS and i have now got SSH back again over WAN on one of my RTAC86U, Skynet Securmode IS disabled.

Well that's definitely progress, but it's not obvious why the choice of DNS configuration would impact access to the SSH server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!