What's new

Can't change wireless channel bandwidth or control channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

decker

Occasional Visitor
I have RT-AC86U and Merlin 386.7_2. I'm unable to set the wireless channel bandwidth and control channel for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies. After I configure them and hit apply it just goes back to the default of 20/40 MHz, Auto control channel for 2.4 Ghz, 20/40/80 MHz, Auto control channel, Auto extension control for 5 GHz. I thought I used to be able to change these settings but now I can't remember.

Does rebooting the router via the GUI help? If not, does pulling the power plug from the router, waiting a minute or so, then powering it back up help?

If neither of these doesn't give results when was the last time you fully reset the router without using a saved backup config file to set it up again?

Do you have any scripts running? Are amtm and all scripts/Entware up to date? Is your USB drive healthy?

Are you using AMesh?

What other options/features are you using on the router, past its defaults?

I've already rebooted the router through the GUI and unplugged the router multiple times. I don't think I ever reset the router when I did the last Merlin update, which was months ago. Not using scripts or amesh or usb drive or anything beyond the default.

You think I should reset the router?

Try with different web browser.

Ok I figured out the problem. It was the Adguard Adblocker extension that was causing it. The settings actually did change to what I wanted but if Adguard was enabled it would always show the settings as the default. I tested it with a different browser that had Adguard disabled and it showed the settings I configured in the other browser. Damn browser extensions. Thanks for the tip.

Btw do you have any recommendations for optimal wireless settings and channels for 2.4 & 5 GHz? Is it better to leave them on default? I set 2.4 GHz to 20/40 MHz, Control channel 1; 5 GHz to 40 MHz, Control channel 48.

2.4GHz @20MHz and 5GHz @20/40/80MHz or straight 80MHz if it works reliably. Fix control channels to what works better for you. There is no optimal settings. Everyone's Wi-Fi environment is different. If you have no issues with default settings in Professional - leave it this way.