What's new

Can't find IPTV on Zenwifi XT8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlexXT8

New Around Here
So I might be blind but I need to enable IPTV. I saw these instructions and they seem straightforward enough... except my LAN menu doesn't have an IPTV tab at all. Am I blind? Running 42095 firmware in AP mode.

Untitled.jpg

Ok it looks like the option is disabled in AP mode. Crap. Any way to force it?

New question: can I set the Zenwifi in default router mode, but disable DCHP, so it doesn't create a sub-network? Otherwise I can't manage to get remote access to my network to work (I have a NAS I use to stream media including outside the home).

I guess the question is why do you feel you need to enable IPTV on an access point/mesh node?

For many of us, the IPTV function was originally there to enable TV over our internet without the data used counting towards the old low internet usage caps. Used for that purpose though (and most others) it would need to be in place on the main router!

Maybe if you could tell us what you are trying to do rather than how you are trying to do it?

My ISP provides a router and a TV box. I don't have any other TV connection, but the provider offers a few hundred or so channels. It's part of the package and very standard where I live. Unfortunately this TV box is hardwired to only work with the IPS-provided router. Since I'm having my internet pass through the Zenwifi via ethernet (so: ISP router >> Zenwifi >> TV box; Zenwifi also distributes wifi throughout the house) it seems the TV box doesn't 'recognize' the router. I've read elsewhere that enabling IPTV fixed that, but I'm stuck here.

Last edited:
To use the TV box IPTV usually (for the pedantic in here I know it's not always!) creates a VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) on the WAN side of your Internet connection. So you would need to be creating the VLAN on the WAN side of whatever it is that your XT8 is acting as AP for!

To give any more info, we'll probably need to know the name of the ISP, and possibly some info on the equipment they provide and what the XT8 is plugged into!

As for DHCP, it's really the means for distributing configuration to hosts in a network, so turning it off does not turn a router into a switch. *How the upstream equipment would handle a VLAN set on the WAN port of the XT8 would depend on what that equipment is. If possible going straight from the modem/(G)PON/ONT to the XT8 is probably going to be the way to go - but there are many variables here!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!