What's new

Cant flash RT-AX82U gnuton

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everything is already optimized, I use a tweaked os win10 it is an optimized operating system only for games, optimized net configuration, no bottleneck nothing.
I don't feel any lag, but I do notice that the server takes longer to register a hit, for example. If I activate traditional qos, I don't notice anything and have a 5ms ping all the time.

cake qos is supposed to be much better than traditional qos, therefore merlin

Have read that people just restartet the whole time until it worked. But I do not know from which version I should upgrade to which version
I think I will try the firmware restoration tool from asus first, use version 38650289 and then upgrade to the latest gnuton version

Last edited:
I think I will try the firmware restoration tool

Very careful with it because there is no firmware verification. If you flash wrong firmware - you kill the router.

Before you return it.

Try using a PC that doesn't have a custom Windows image on it.

Before you return it.

Try using a PC that doesn't have a custom Windows image on it.
I tried it with edge browser on a laptop for like 3 hours, every 388 stock version with factory reset between and then tried to upgrade to newest gnuton merlin, still doesnt work.
With the newest version 388_23285 its just stuck nothing happens after the "please wait"

Last edited:
The RT-AX86U, hands down, overall.

But what are your actual requirements? What area in SqFt are you covering? What are the construction materials of your home made of? What are your ISP speeds? Are those speeds symmetrical?

Buying a new router today, I would not consider the RT-AX86U as it will not receive the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in a few months (afaik). The better hardware today is the GT-AX6000. Which you may find even less costly than the models you indicate (depending on where you live and if you can wait for a sale or not).

The RT-AX86U, hands down, overall.

But what are your actual requirements? What area in SqFt are you covering? What are the construction materials of your home made of? What are your ISP speeds? Are those speeds symmetrical?

Buying a new router today, I would not consider the RT-AX86U as it will not receive the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in a few months (afaik). The better hardware today is the GT-AX6000. Which you may find even less costly than the models you indicate (depending on where you live and if you can wait for a sale or not).
I just need it for cake qos :D (Gaming) nothing special I will do
RT-AX86U is just 100 bucks on amazon, cheaper than the RT-AX82U and the TUF-AX5400
GT-AX6000 costs 250 and I think this is too much for me as the only user who really needs low latency, all other devices like tv and mobile can run on low priority
nvm its also costs 120 bucks used on amazon. Ok thanks I'll buy that one

Last edited:
also costs 120 bucks used on amazon

Are you sure it's ROG Rapture GT-AX6000? The price is very low for this router even used. Double check. There are other models with AX6000 in the name or AX6000-class.

You are looking for this one:

1687296982765.png

Ok I have it now, nice big router.
Did merlin update, works perfectly.
I just dont understand the cake qos settings, the 18 what does it mean? like 18% buffer zone
asus.png

is it worth to select a specific channel for wifi to get a better range?

Last edited:
Can I just take the newest merlin version?
Flash Merlin and Factory Reset
is it worth to select a specific channel for wifi to get a better range?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!