What's new

Can't get VPN to work, undetected, with the VPN directotate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I don't know what I am missing but ever since Eric added the VPN directotate to the UI I can't seem to get it to work properly.
I think I have everything set up correctly like direct all through the directorate and the locations I use are the same I've used for ages but when I try to stream something on either Hulu Amazon prime or Netflix US from Australia via my Roku ultra streaming device it will let me log in to the channels and everything looks good until I pick something to watch and I get an error message saying that I MAY be using a VPN or proxy server.
Now before you call me a dick&$ed and all these channels are just getting good at detecting VPN and proxy server,s and all that,,, I had to rollback to 14.2 on Merlin firmware and it works fine again. In fact it's better than fine I used to use a couple of express VPN,s locations to stream all the channels I mentioned above but I am able to use the one location and I can stream them all uninterrupted or detected on Merlin 14.2 .
What am I missing? Both firmwares are great apart from the problem mentioned so it's not a big deal but I would like to keep using Eric,s latest firmware . MY routers an RT AC 88 U thanks in advance guys and gals

It could be your VPN DNS settings. I think there were some changes to how that works now.

P.S. It's VPN Director, not directotate or directorate.

Have you reached out to your VPN provider? In the past when I was having problems skirting geo-blocking I reached out to my VPN provider and they would give me a server or two I could use that hadn't been put on a blocking list yet.

It could be your VPN DNS settings. I think there were some changes to how that works now.

P.S. It's VPN Director, not directotate or directorate.
I did struggle with that word didn't I , I could blame it on fat fingers but that wouldn't work would it . So any ideas on how to fix the DNS issue.
PS man between you and my English teacher wife I may just leave my nosb behind and learn english

Have you reached out to your VPN provider? In the past when I was having problems skirting geo-blocking I reached out to my VPN provider and they would give me a server or two I could use that hadn't been put on a blocking list yet.
Yeah I did but the locations they suggested simply don't work on 15.2 but do work on 14.2 for me anyway. What Colin said about DNS makes sense to me because when I stream without a VPN active but use express VPN,s DNS servers,some streaming services allow me access and some don't. I don't know if this is possible but I think,at least, that they have more than one way to see where you are either by your DNS address or IP address. Is this possible or am I just talking crap ?
Example,,if I try to re-subscribe with Amazon prime while using their DNS servers on my Roku device it will take me to the Australian streaming service but if I try using a VPN server it will take me to the USA service but once I am signed up I can turn off the VPN, turn on their DNS servers and when I open Amazon prime it is the US service. Bizarre stuff for me but I'm sure someone out there can explain it to me ???

Is this the same problem (and bad spelling ;)) you reported in this thread that you said you had fixed?
Yes it is and yes I thought it was fixed. Last time I simply changed location and it seemed to work,,,, actually having said that I may have done a factory reset last time and that may have fixed it. Hmmmm I'm not sure now but you have given me a possible fix when I get home from work. I'll update to 386.5.2 again do a hard reset straight after and see what happens thanks your a gem

Last edited:
Neither of these are valid version numbers...
384.14.2 and 386.5.2 sorry my bad I stopped updating after 384.14.2 for various reasons but when I got back on board with the updates I can't get the VPN ditector to work properly. Colin said that you may have changed the DNS settings on this firmware is that correct? Or is my problem elsewhere?

Last edited:
Just as I posted my question this morning I thought I may have gotten the firmware numbers wrong but I was at work so I couldn't check but when Colin didn't pull me up on it this morning I thought I must have been correct O well such is life

Colin said that you may have changed the DNS settings on this firmware is that correct?
Not that I remember, but that was months ago, I don't remember all the details related to the VPN Director changes.

Not that I remember, but that was months ago, I don't remember all the details related to the VPN Director changes.
Ok thanks I'll try updating to 386.5.2 again and do a factory reset after and see if it fixes the issue. Do you think that updating from 384.14.2 to the latest version may be my problem? Should I update in increments or would a factory reset be enough?

Ok thanks I'll try updating to 386.5.2 again and do a factory reset after and see if it fixes the issue. Do you think that updating from 384.14.2 to the latest version may be my problem? Should I update in increments or would a factory reset be enough?
I have never tested upgrading from such an old version. I currently only maintain automated upgrading code from 386.1 and newer.

I have never tested upgrading from such an old version. I currently only maintain automated upgrading code from 386.1 and newer.
Ok thanks I'll wait until I have an hour or two when the router is not being used and update say one or two versions at a time and then do a hard reset when I get to 5.2 Thanks

You don't (normally) need to flash in-between versions of the firmware (some exceptions where when a specific version changed the flash layout, internally).

Simply flash the version you want to test, then be sure to fully reset the router.

You don't (normally) need to flash in-between versions of the firmware (some exceptions where when a specific version changed the flash layout, internally).

Simply flash the version you want to test, then be sure to fully reset the router.
Thanks for that I did it your way and all is well ,it just needed a reset after updating