What's new

Can't get Wireguard server to work (AX88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ptthstr

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm trying to configure the Wireguard server on my AX88U and just can't get it to work.
I'm using the default settings for both server and client sides (see screenshots). When I activate the tunnel on my phone, I don't have access to anything, WAN or LAN. I can't ping anything either.

SCR-20230818-qyog.png
SCR-20230818-qyvu.png
SCR-20230818-qzkq.png

I've tried following advice on various posts here and on Reddit, like setting a VPN Director rule or a firewall rule (even disabling it completely). No change from these.

SCR-20230818-raeq.png

Worth noting:
  • I am not using DDNS
  • I don't have any other VPN clients/servers setup
  • There is no ISP router in front of the AX88U, it connects to the Internet directly. However it does so over a VLAN (not sure if that changes anything).
  • I use OpenDNS, but reverting to my ISP's DNS doesn't change anything.
I've spent hours trying to fix this, so I'm a bit confused about what else I could do. I used to have a pfSense router and Wireguard worked perfectly on it, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

I've tried following advice on various posts here and on Reddit, like setting a VPN Director rule or a firewall rule (even disabling it completely). No change from these.
Vpn director is only used for clients, not server. If you only run a server on your router, this rule is not needed and should be removed.

When I activate the tunnel on my phone, I don't have access to anything
Can you see any tx/rx byte count in your app?
My guess are that your tunnel is not up. Some windows clients are tricky, try to ping router wg peer: 10.6.0.1 instead, does that work?

If not your tunnel is proberly not up.

it connects to the Internet directly. However it does so over a VLAN (not sure if that changes anything).
Perhaps.

Vpn director is only used for clients, not server. If you only run a server on your router, this rule is not needed and should be removed.

Can you see any tx/rx byte count in your app?
My guess are that your tunnel is not up. Some windows clients are tricky, try to ping router wg peer: 10.6.0.1 instead, does that work?

If not your tunnel is proberly not up.

Perhaps.
Thansk for the advice.
Did you ever solve this. Same problem here.
Unfortunately not. I ended up installing wg-easy on a Raspberry Pi and that worked flawlessly in a few minutes.