What's new

Can't ping my Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Manning

Occasional Visitor
I suddenly lost internet access about an hour ago, and have isolated the problem to my RT-AC68U.
I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 operating in modem mode, connected to the WAN port of the RT-AC68U. When I first looked at the RT-AC68U console it was telling me that there was a problem with my ISP's DHCP server, but when I connected a PC directly to the Virgin Hub (via ethernet) I was able to connect to the internet.
So I power cycled the RT-AC68U and connected the same PC to it via ethernet. Now I'm unable to ping it. All of the blue LED's on the front of the router look fine, and the wireless radio seems to be working as I can connect my phone to it (although without getting any internet access).
I've tried powering down the RT-AC68U for a few minutes but it didn't seem to help.
Can anyone suggest anything?

Update: I can now get to the web admin console on the RT-AC68U (after leaving it powered down for about 10 minutes), but the internet connection status is still saying "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly".
This setup has been working fine for over a year, until my internet connection suddenly dropped this evening. The internet connection on the ISP's modem still seems fine (I can access the net if I connect a PC directly to the Virgin modem).
Any ideas???

Update: I can now get to the web admin console on the RT-AC68U (after leaving it powered down for about 10 minutes), but the internet connection status is still saying "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly".
This setup has been working fine for over a year, until my internet connection suddenly dropped this evening. The internet connection on the ISP's modem still seems fine (I can access the net if I connect a PC directly to the Virgin modem).
Any ideas???
Try rebooting the VM hub with the Asus online.

If that doesn't help, power both down, start modem, wait til modem is online, then boot asus

(i used to be with VM, and had to do this dance once or twice)

Thanks for that. I tried both of those things, but neither helped.
Now this is strange: I can't connect to the Asus router if I connect via ethernet (I get "PING: transmit failed. General failure"), but if I connect via Wifi I can connect fine - but still see the "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly" error.
I've tried 2 different LAN ports on the back of the Asus and both had the same problem.
Does this suggest a problem with the Asus hardware? Any diagnostics I can try??

It turns out that it was a problem with the Virgin Hub. I spent half an hour on the phone with Virgin Support. They eventually suggested doing a hard reset of the hub (pressing and holding the reset button for 40 seconds), and it resolved the problem.

it has been about 5 days, but my same router gives me the same error message "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly"

all of a sudden on sunday morning. I have rebooted my Spectrum cable modem about 6 times, rebooted the Asus various ways, about a dozen times.

If I connect my PC via Ethernet into one of the lan ports, sometimes I can ping the asus, sometimes not. When I can ping the asus router, I can also web console in, but I started noticing that even if I can, the console page I get to view after logging into the router, tells me that message "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly" and then it changes to tell me "internet status" - disconnected. Then the router page seems to go non responsive.

I can however, ping something else on my network... like my Pihole device.

Running a Ethernet cable from PC to the spectrum modem, works... can load webpages.

I thought about opening up a new thread, holding off for now.