What's new

Can't seem to reliably connect to 2.4ghz...5ghz is fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbc

Regular Contributor
Quick bit about my setup:

XB6 Modem via Rogers Ignite bridged
Netgear R7000 main router
EAP 225v3 Access Points throughout home connected to a POE switch, connected to the R7000

Have been having weird issues for the 2 or 3 weeks I've been on the "new" XB6 modem and had it replaced. Everything worked wonderfully when I was on an older Hitron modem with Digital Cable.

Thought I had it pretty stable, but all of a sudden the last few days, I can't seem to reliably connect to the 2.4ghz network on the EAP's. The signal is super strong, but when I try to connect it never provides an IP address. Happens on several devices (Pixel phone, Samsung phone, laptop, printers, etc).

Have tried rebooting everything, and sometimes it connects, but most of the time now it doesn't. Connects perfectly to 5ghz, but my printer doesn't have nor do other devices in the home. Plus the range isn't the greatest.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Wifi Analyzer implies the channel I'm on (6) is pretty clear.

Why are you not using 5ghz for wifi? Every piece of equipment that you have will do 5ghz Wifi with speeds up to 600mbps. How do you have the IP’s set for all of the equipment?

do you have all of the wifi radios in the HB6 turned off 2.4 , 5 GHz, and Bluetooth LE and Zigbee radios ?

EAP 225v3 Access Points throughout home connected to a POE switch, connected to the R7000

Have been having weird issues for the 2 or 3 weeks I've been on the "new" XB6 modem and had it replaced. Everything worked wonderfully when I was on an older Hitron modem with Digital Cable.

Where's the single point of failure?

Yep, the R7000 - if the XB6 is bridge, the R7000 is the router, and assigning the DHCP to the clients.

If everything was working to a point, and then doing a soft fail - it's probably the power adapter on the R7000.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!