What's new

Can't seem to set Samsung tablet up for face-only login

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wahoowad

Regular Contributor
I just got my first ever Android device - a new but older model Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite upgraded to Android 13. I needed a cheap tablet to read and watch videos while doing cardio at the gym. Some things not as intuitive as my iOS devices but I seem to have the swing of things now.

Only thing I can't get configured right is the face recognition. The biometric is running but it seems to prompt me all the time for the PIN too. Sometimes it seems to use the facial if I hold it for 5 seconds, other times the lock screen seems to go into power save or something and screen shuts off before the 5-second facial will open it. Is there a configuration setting that will allow it to unlock via facial only?

Untitled-picture.png

No, you have to have pin and face unlock.

On boot or restart pin is required.
If your phone or tablet are on but haven't been used for a while then again it will require pin.
If face is not recognised pin is required.

It seems to ask for the pin every time, or near every time. Even when I just entered it a little while ago.

I'm not sure but it might be that the face recognition is taking the 3 to 5 seconds. If I just hold and hold it then I don't get prompted for the pin. But if I swipe before the face recognition works then it prompts for the pin? Could that be what is going on?

Everything okay with your face? 🤪

Apple Face ID is on another level. It uses IR dot projector, flood IR light and depth IR camera. It recognizes features of the face in 3D and on an angle even when wearing glasses and in complete darkness. The best indeed and impressive fit of everything in the screen notch.

Apple Face ID is on another level. It uses IR dot projector, flood IR light and depth IR camera. It recognizes features of the face in 3D and on an angle even when wearing glasses and in complete darkness. The best indeed and impressive fit of everything in the screen notch.
A 3D printer can break it so easily.

Only thing I can't get configured right is the face recognition. The biometric is running but it seems to prompt me all the time for the PIN too. Sometimes it seems to use the facial if I hold it for 5 seconds, other times the lock screen seems to go into power save or something and screen shuts off before the 5-second facial will open it. Is there a configuration setting that will allow it to unlock via facial only?

Samsung is kind of doing their own thing... google has their own as well for their branded hardware...

The whole facial ID thing, even with Apple - it's a good thing they back it up with a PIN request...

A 3D printer can break it so easily.

Sure. Need to scan the face of the owner with a 3D scanner, then print the 3D object on a 3D printer and get physical access to the phone. Easy enough.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!