What's new

Trying to set VM for p2p torrenting behind Asus ZenWifi XT8 through Fusion VPN set only for VM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ecfdz

New Around Here
Hello everyone!

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything, I'm also no expert so I struggle a bit (plus English ain't my native language so sorry in advance for the horrible spelling etc.)

The title pretty much sums it all :

- I have Synology DS218+ running on latest update of DSM 7

- My router is an Asus ZenWifi XT8, for extra info : I live in France and ISP are a bit weird, I managed to find an ISP that allows to set their own router (box) in bridge mode thus allowing me to use my Asus router to take over the internet connection. I don't know if this matters but just so you know :)

- This Asus routers has a native service called Fusion VPN. It allows me to set a VPN connection right from the router and chose the devices I want to go through the VPN connexion and which ones use the regular connection. I thought this was great for the configuration I wanted.

- I subscribed to express vpn about a year ago (kept hearing it was the best, not so sure after all). But Asus has a partnership with SurfShark and a native connection to their VPN using the protocol WireGuard. I decided to give it a try and it seems quite faster than express vpn.

- So I started to configure the VPN connection from the Asus router to SurfShark using WireGuard and I only selected the VM to use the VPN connection.

- On my Synology VM things seem ok, DDNS is up to date and registered the new IP from the VPN...

- BUT, I'm unable to connect to my VM using DDNS at all and only QuickConnect allows me to connect from outside my home network (not connected to the router or LAN if I'm not mistaken). When connected to my network I can still use quickconnect and the VM IP address (192.168...). When I go to external access > router configuration > click set up router everything seems to work until all ports show "failed" in the "connection test result" column. If I turn off the VPN connection from the router then the VM will show again my home's IP in the DDNS and setting up the router as did before also works and this time the same connection test column show OK instead of Failed.

My goal is to be able to connect the VM through the router's VPN connection to be able to torrent safely (in France we get fines for torrenting so a VPN is a must) and still be able to access it from outside my home's network. I thought I would be an easy task but I'm almost pulling my hair in frustration.

I don't know what else to do and I've spent days trying to find a way to achieve this.

If anyone could help me sort this out, croissants will be on my next time you're in Paris!

Thank you all