What's new

Can't use android phone usb tethering (invalid pin code error?!?) AC86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ewokuk

Regular Contributor
I am attempting to connect my AC86u using latest merlin to my S20 Ultra over usb3.0 tethering so i can test what sort of 5g performance i get with that setup (since the phone itself gives me 280mb on 5g and my normal home fibre only gives me 50). However After setting WAN to USB, it defaults to "USB modem" which is obviously no good, and when I change it to "Android" and click apply, I get a "invalid pin code" error message and it does nothing. At no point anywhere am I asked for a pin, nowhere is there a box to enter a pin and there are no messages on the phone about it (which is plugged in to the router on a usb3 cable and with usb mode set to tethering). I am completely stuck because this message makes zero sense.

error.PNG

Ok I managed to get past that bit, it sems it was firefox related because chrome allowed me to hit the apply button ok.

However I was still unable to get a connection. The status page seems to indicate it is still using "usb modem" and not "android phone" which might be why, but I did set it to android phone and applied it TWICE (each time causing the router to reboot) so it should have been set properly.
error2.PNGerror3.PNG

Try the USB 2 port.

Try the USB 2 port.

You are right, works on the usb 2 port! I think I vaguely remember something about it only working on that before actually.

Perfect, 270mb down, 40mb up. I don't think the USB is providing enough power to keep the phone charged so this will not be a viable solution at the moment and obviously I don't want to leave my only phone and sim card plugged in to the router all the time. I may look for a cheap 5g phone to use instead (since decent 5g routers don't seem to exist yet and those that do probably cost more than a cheap 5g phone and may not allow bridge mode so I can still use my AC86. Might look at the OnePlus Nord or something unless theres a cheaper one thatll get me these speeds.

All working now anyway, thanks.

I had a USB3 HD that came with a 'Y' cable adapter that allowed you to plug in two USB ports on the host side. One for data/power, the other just power. This increased the power going to the HD. I found a similar adapter cable on Amazon HIGHROCK 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord

I was able to tether my Samsung Note 10 Plus to my AX3000 (only has one USB port) through a powered USB3 hub. I only tried briefly since I intended to use it in an emergency if/when my ISP barfed. Unfortunately, I could only tether when the phone was the only USB device on the hub. So I gave up my USB stick with swap, skynet, and other AMTM scripts. But since it was only for emergencies, I could live with that.

Last edited:
why not DualWAN-Load Balancing? 270+50 is 320 and that's just on the download side - it works on the uploads as well

Last edited:
why not DualWAN-Load Balancing? 270+50 is 320 and that's just own the download side - it works on the uploads as well

The socket with the 50mb fibre is in a cupboard where the mobile will not get the same 5g signal, and if I go with 5g and pay something like 35 a month, I won't want to be keeping the crappy 50mb fibre which costs 50.

You are right, works on the usb 2 port! I think I vaguely remember something about it only working on that before actually.

Perfect, 270mb down, 40mb up. I don't think the USB is providing enough power to keep the phone charged so this will not be a viable solution at the moment and obviously I don't want to leave my only phone and sim card plugged in to the router all the time. I may look for a cheap 5g phone to use instead (since decent 5g routers don't seem to exist yet and those that do probably cost more than a cheap 5g phone and may not allow bridge mode so I can still use my AC86. Might look at the OnePlus Nord or something unless theres a cheaper one thatll get me these speeds.

All working now anyway, thanks.
I ran a Samsung J3 Android phone off of the USB2 port on an AC66U_B1 for a couple of days until my ISP figured out which fiber cable went to my house. Started with a full charge and the phone stayed up.

You may want to consider staying with the fiber. There are some areas that require land line phone/data to be active when the power is off. In my area the dial tone law applied to wired phone connection and still does as well to fiber phone. Thus the phone company installed a UPS for my ONT (besides fiber internet I have phone over fiber). There is no requirement for cell service to be maintained in a power failure. Sure, cell towers usually have generators for backup. But...

The battery was dropping, started at 65%, was down to 61% after an hour or two

I am not worried about the land line, if the 5g works out then I will not even have a landline as I will have no use for it. The only reason I have one now is because you get no choice with the fibre broadband.

I am keeping a close eye on the netgear m5 5g router as it is due out soon and that might provide a better solution than using a phone, however I suspect it will have a ridiculous price.

Last edited:
I don't think the USB is providing enough power to keep the phone charged
Is this a Galaxy S20? Just use wireless charging... that's what I do with my S9 when streaming on my TV.