What's new

CAT7 tops at 100Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gil80

Regular Contributor
Need urgent help. I purchased some CAT7 cables. I have a CAT6a in the wall.

The connection from the computer to the wall is made with Cat 7 and I get 100Mbps with it. This is how the NIC reports and also a download test.
My internet connection is 1Gbps.

When I put back the old cable, cat 5e from the computer to the wall, I get 1Gbps speed according to the NIC and a download speed of 910Mbps.
A test with LANtest equipment comes fine. what could be the problem?

Not sure why you're using a C7 though for 3X the price of 5E.
pins don't match?
But they do... how did you establish that?

As for why, because there are lots of power cables and wifi crap in the walls and house and I wanted to get the best possible line for my 1Gbps connection

best possible line for my 1Gbps
Turns out the 5E is your best connection medium.

The issue with the speed on cat 7 being 100mbps is either the pins don't match, bad cable, or changing the frequency along the path is causing the degraded speed.

The connection from the computer to the wall is made with Cat 7 and I get 100Mbps with it. This is how the NIC reports and also a download test.

When I put back the old cable, cat 5e from the computer to the wall, I get 1Gbps speed according to the NIC and a download speed of 910Mbps.
I would check to make sure all drivers are up to date, as it may be a driver issue (very rare, but it has happened). As for the cable, it could be pins incorrect, damaged or bad cable, and sometimes depending who you buy through for price, could be that the cable was not true Cat7 cable as performance should not downgrade. The cable more or less gives at minimum the same speed as the other end point, given the hardware is all up to spec as well.

So an Ethernet cable has 8 conductors (wires). Pre-gigabit, you just needed to have pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 connected properly. Since you are getting gigabit on the original Cat 5e cable, I'd agree with the others that's it's probably a damaged or otherwise faulty Cat 7 cable. The cheaper ethernet testers test electrical connectivity and wouldn't catch a barely-crimped cable. Some don't even test all 8 conductors. A basic-tier network tester is good at telling you that a cable is bad, but shouldn't be trusted to tell you if the cable is good.

Your CAT.7 cable is defective. One or more wires are disconnected by you maybe. Bent? Did you bend it or pull? Otherwise it's a defective.
You can test it with a Network Cable Tester. Like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN8BTXW/?tag=snbforums-20

Hey dude, I have the same issue here I dug the whole internet, and nothing helped me did you solve it?

Why wouldn't you match the 6A you have in the wall? Why not just buy another cable from another manufacturer to test?

Hey dude, I have the same issue here I dug the whole internet, and nothing helped me did you solve it?

If your physical link speed is 100M it is most often caused by a physical wiring problem, all 8 pins must be connected and in the correct order to get 1G and above link rates.

If your physical link speed is 100M it is most often caused by a physical wiring problem, all 8 pins must be connected and in the correct order to get 1G and above link rates.

I agree - could be the walljack...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!