What's new

CAUTION about recently released firmware QTS 5.0.0.1808 Build 20211001

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beneix

New Around Here
Just a warning to others to wait and not install the latest 5.0.0.1808 firmware advertised to x86 units. There is a long thread on the QNAP forum with many different errors reported. My FTP-based backup of clients on the LAN stopped working because QNAP included a new "QuFTP" app in the release, and something is not configured right there. Other users have reported issues with SSD caching, and some have lost access to their HDDs.

Yes, good to bring it up here... I'm making the follow up over there.
Anyway I usually give them a couple of months before any major release, and 1 or 2 months for minor ones...

There're a lot of issues and some varies depending on the model.

My FTP-based backup of clients on the LAN stopped working because QNAP included a new "QuFTP" app in the release, and something is not configured right there

Yeah I saw that on my TS-453Pro - QuFTP is a download now, and needs to be configured but only takes a couple of minutes.

One thing I did notice is that it changed by disk spindowns to enabled - which I prefer not to do, I let them spin continuously...

Yeah I saw that on my TS-453Pro - QuFTP is a download now, and needs to be configured but only takes a couple of minutes.

One thing I did notice is that it changed by disk spindowns to enabled - which I prefer not to do, I let them spin continuously...
Watch out your temps, fan activity, etc. It's not only soft. the list of bugs

Fortunately, it seems that rolling back to the more stable 4.5.4 release works well. 5.0.0.1808 was a disaster for my TS-563. Luckily I stumbled across the fan / system temperature issue right away and was able to get it logged along with the DNS issue which also plagued this unit and some others. I did have a 3rd issue after rolling back with the Malware Remove app not running, but QNAP support was quick to provide the solution (simply manually reinstall). I must say they were quick to respond to all 3 of the cases I entered. Based on the number of systems affected, you could hardly qualify this as a beta release let alone a "real" release.

Normally I am not one to jump on an update, but a couple days before I had put on 4.5.4.1800 and when I saw there was a x.x.1808 I didn't notice the 5.0.0 part (pretty stupid of me) so thought it was a minor update so slapped it on. Rolling back with 35TB of data was not a fun job. I do have backups, but it would have taken a few days to restore that much data. Fortunately it was not required.

Rolling back with 35TB of data was not a fun job. I do have backups, but it would have taken a few days to restore that much data. Fortunately it was not required.

Oh yes...

And the 5.0xx fun continues - might not be a bad idea to do a nuke and pave, and then a restore...

there's enough changes here that it'll be h*ll to get everything cleaned up and sorted...

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 1.23.04 PM.png

And my TS-453Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth.

If I'm not tempting fate already with 3TB Seagate Enterprise drives and there is the Intel Silvermont errata that will eventually cause the machine to die on a restart...

At least I back it up on a weekly basis to an external 5TB USB drive...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!