What's new

CES 2017 Wrapup: Wi-Fi At A Crossroads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not just Broadcom - X-Stream, while I'm not a big fan, isn't outside of 802.11 formal specs - so that's ok

My problem is that they used that to create a phoney "AC3200" and "AC5300" class.

My problem is that they used that to create a phoney "AC3200" and "AC5300" class.

Yes, concur, things were ok up to that point - then the marketeers just starting adding numbers up...

And some vendors do both - X-stream (wave1) and a Wave2 device that isn't Xstream, but also called AC3200 class :D

So once mesh/multi-point runs it's course - what'll be the next big topic?

Leaky Coax?

As a side note - leaky coax is a real thing - if you've used WiFi on an Airplane, you've used leaky coax - or what the vendors in that space call radiating cables - Gore is one of the bigger players in that field...

https://www.gore.com/products/gore-tm-leaky-feeder-antennas

A lot of attenuation and coupling loss on the link, so one has to really pound some power down it - on the order of 30 dBM... but if one does a 100 ft run across the attic/crawlspace...

Talked to the founder at a press event. It's an application of technology they developed for RF spectrum analysis.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!