What's new

CES 2018 Wrapup: Waiting For 11ax

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
ces_logo.jpg
The dawn of 2018 finds router makers trying to make the best out of 802.11ax's delay.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Last edited:
I wonder, at CES did any smartphone makers hint at any upcoming devices that would use 802.11ax?

It would be nice to see this generation of wireless networking actually more forward at an even pace where within a small time window (few months) we can have routers as well as smartphones, WiFi adapters, and laptops being released and fully ready to make use of the technology.

Without proper adoption, we will be stuck with the stagnation that we are seeing in the 802.11ad space where devices that could realistically benefit from it are not using it, which further discourages router makers from putting those radios in their products. I would love to have an 802.11ad enabled smartphone where when in the home office, it could connect to an 802.11ad AP, and then using foldersync, immediately begin backing up the DCIM, Documents, Photos, Downloads, and other common folders to the NAS at much higher speeds than with 802.11ac.

I wonder, at CES did any smartphone makers hint at any upcoming devices that would use 802.11ax?

It would be nice to see this generation of wireless networking actually more forward at an even pace where within a small time window (few months) we can have routers as well as smartphones, WiFi adapters, and laptops being released and fully ready to make use of the technology.

Without proper adoption, we will be stuck with the stagnation that we are seeing in the 802.11ad space where devices that could realistically benefit from it are not using it, which further discourages router makers from putting those radios in their products. I would love to have an 802.11ad enabled smartphone where when in the home office, it could connect to an 802.11ad AP, and then using foldersync, immediately begin backing up the DCIM, Documents, Photos, Downloads, and other common folders to the NAS at much higher speeds than with 802.11ac.

The 802.11ad problem has nothing to do with market itself, but more the standard is messed up. 802.11ay will hopfully not repeat that mistake again.

I kind of rather hope 802.11ax draft 3.0 will fail too. Unless someone give me a good reason why 802.11 wireless draft consistently have problem after things has been shipped in hardware and having some software firmware to fix it. It just isn't really well designed, and after the disclose of companies having secret meetings behind closed doors, may be they all have an incentive to sell you news things, and newer things that fixes things and more crap.

I wonder why there aren't any MutiFire / LTE over 5Ghz shown in CES.

CES is not a mobile show. Announcements like you are looking for come at Mobile World Congress, end of Feb.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!