What's new

Change 192.168.1.1 on Edgerouter ER-X another local network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beigecat

New Around Here
The Edgerouter comes set up with 192.168.1.1 , and the GUI listens to that IP. Any 192.168.X.X that I use for the interfaces(eth1,2,3,4) gets listened to automatically by the GUI.
If I change the interfaces to 192.167.X.X then the GUI doesn't listen to those automatically though.

How can I get the GUI to listen to 192.167.1.1 for example, after setting it to eth1 ?
I got only the DHCP working.
I added DNS listening to the interface, however, 192.167.1.1 port 53 is closed..
So none of the ports are listening to the interface's IP.

Help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok I figured it out.. 192.167 is not a locally reserved range, so this makes sense.
The TPLink ER605 doesn't seem to care about that.

Lookup RFC1918 for the usable subnets.
OK I tried 172.16.X.X and it didn't work.
Switched back to 192.168.100.1 and it works right away.
The EdgeRouter does something behind the scenes when changing the IP on an interface, which it doesn't do for other IP Ranges unfortunately..
In the initial firmware it didn't do it even for 192.168.X.X.
I guess I have to stick to 192.168, but it would've been nice if it worked on other ranges.

OK I tried 172.16.X.X and it didn't work.
Switched back to 192.168.100.1 and it works right away.
The EdgeRouter does something behind the scenes when changing the IP on an interface, which it doesn't do for other IP Ranges unfortunately..
In the initial firmware it didn't do it even for 192.168.X.X.
I guess I have to stick to 192.168, but it would've been nice if it worked on other ranges.

Unless there is some bug in the firmware you're using, you should be able to use anything you want as long as it is not configured on other interfaces on the router. Do not use 192.168.100.1 as that will give you issues if you ever need to access a cable modem.

As long as you've set the IP and subnet mask correctly, you may just need to reboot the router or clear your ARP/DNS cache on your PC.

Unless there is some bug in the firmware you're using, you should be able to use anything you want as long as it is not configured on other interfaces on the router. Do not use 192.168.100.1 as that will give you issues if you ever need to access a cable modem.

As long as you've set the IP and subnet mask correctly, you may just need to reboot the router or clear your ARP/DNS cache on your PC.
It's working as long as it starts with 192.168, without a reboot even.. If I use 172.16 , there is no listener on the gateway ex. 172.16.1.1 .. No port 53, no 443, no ping response. I tried a reboot, it doesn't help. My modem assigns the public internet IP and doesn't create a private lan, but good to know about 100.1.
I'm using the latest firmware update from January.

It's working as long as it starts with 192.168, without a reboot even.. If I use 172.16 , there is no listener on the gateway ex. 172.16.1.1 .. No port 53, no 443, no ping response. I tried a reboot, it doesn't help. My modem assigns the public internet IP and doesn't create a private lan, but good to know about 100.1.
I'm using the latest firmware update from January.

Even though your modem assigns a public IP to the edgerouter, its internal status page is accessible via 192.168.100.1, that is a standard across all cable modems.

You can definitely use something other than 192.168 on the ER - maybe there is a firewall rule or something that needs to be updated. Are you configuring it via the GUI or CLI?

Purely out of interest and assuming this is for home or SMB, why would you be bothered with the LAN IP range that is configured? The gateway of the modem/router of my ISP (with everything else off) is at and 192.168.0.x which is only hooked up to my pfSense router on the WAN and my LAN is on 192.168.1.x and 192.168.10.x because i have 2 VLANs. i couldn't be bothered which the local IP range is as long as they play well together. Maybe there is something to learn for me here?

Purely out of interest and assuming this is for home or SMB, why would you be bothered with the LAN IP range that is configured? The gateway of the modem/router of my ISP (with everything else off) is at and 192.168.0.x which is only hooked up to my pfSense router on the WAN and my LAN is on 192.168.1.x and 192.168.10.x because i have 2 VLANs. i couldn't be bothered which the local IP range is as long as they play well together. Maybe there is something to learn for me here?

Just a matter of preference (and sometimes if you have devices with static IPs and replace hardware you want to use your old subnet again). I prefer the 10.x subnet for LAN since 192 is used by so many things for their default ranges, and it also offers a lot more choices of subnets if you're matching up to VLAN IDs, segmenting sections, etc. When I had a more complex network I'd use the 10.0.0.0/24 for the trusted LAN,10.100.0.0/24 for guest LAN, 10.200.0.0/24 for the external DMZ, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!