What's new

Change IP Adress In Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
I am currently using Merlin 384.19 with my Asus RT-AX58U.
I have to change the default router address from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.1.1 to match my existing setup (all my previous routers have used this address).
I want to amend the firmware to change the default address to save me from having to keep changing it after a factory reset. Is this possible?

Doubtful, it's one of the things you'll just have to change after every factory reset. I just exported the nvram settings that I want to keep including this and apply these whenever I do a factory reset, or there's a script to do the backup and restore of nvram for you

Why are you factory resetting so much that you want to go to the bother of hacking firmware to change the default IP?!? Your request makes zero sense.

On a factory reset, the firmware copies a bunch of stuff from the bootloader' parameters. Among them are the MACs and the default IP. On older routers, you could easily hack this stuff. On newer routers, the bootloader is locked and apparently encrypted. So it isn't feasible to change. Maybe even illegal considering the other things in there related to RF frequencies and power. And definitely not worth the effort.

I am currently using Merlin 384.19 with my Asus RT-AX58U.
I have to change the default router address from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.1.1 to match my existing setup (all my previous routers have used this address).
I want to amend the firmware to change the default address to save me from having to keep changing it after a factory reset. Is this possible?

You will have to compile your own firmware. Either disable the LAN50 build time setting, or modify shared/defaults.c.

Thanks all, but I have discovered the Merlin 384.19 doesn't work with the Asus RT-AX58U, so have had to go back to Asus firmware.

Could be worse. My RT-AC86U started out with 192.168.1.1 as the default then in some firmware it changed to 192.168.50.1.

Got sick of rejuggering it every reload so i just redid all my IP's to 192.168.50.X. Considering I DHCP reserve all my IP's that was not TO bad.