What's new

change mac address in wds? Or usb wifi adapter through router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeffand123

Occasional Visitor
I am currently trying to get disability for medical reasons so no money at this point I am sharing wifi from usb adapter shared from linux computer to Ethernet to router
I am trying to remove the PC from this situation because it needs to be powered all the time to have internet to everything else

1: Is there a way to change the MAC address in advanced settings wireless WDS basic config section the 2.4GHz or 5 GHz MAC address???

2: If my next question can I use a regular usb wifi adapter to share wifi directly through the router usb adapter not ???

I'm using the Asus AC66U B1 Firmware:386.3_2 Merlin
The reason I need it this way is I have small network of devices in my part of the house so this is the best way and only way to use this type of connection Cant run wired or any other way just interested if either would be possibe?

Thanks

Why do you need to change the MAC address?

The router does not support wireless WAN. For that you'd need to use additional hardware to create a wireless Ethernet bridge, like you're currently doing with your PC. You could use a second Asus router for that (in Media Bridge mode) or a travel router like this: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt1300/

Last edited:
Maybe im wrong I'm talking about this:
Wireless - Bridge

Bridge (or named WDS - Wireless Distribution System) function allows your RT-AC66U B1 to connect to an access point wirelessly. WDS may also be considered a repeater mode.
Note:
The function does not support [ WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-Auto-Enterprise ] security authentication method. To set up the corresponding authentication method, please select Legacy as your wireless mode first.
Click Here to modify. Please refer to this FAQ for more details.
To enable WDS to extend the wireless signal, please follow these steps :
  1. Select [WDS Only] or [Hybrid] mode and add MAC address of APs in Remote AP List.
  2. Ensure that this wireless router and the AP you want to connect to use the same channel.
  3. Key in the remote AP mac in the remote AP list and open the remote AP's WDS management interface, key in the this router's MAC address.
  4. To get the best performance, please go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > General and assign the same channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel to every router in the network.
You are currently using the Auto channel bandwidth. Click Here to modify.
You are currently using the Auto channel. Click Here to modify.
5 GHz MAC
Basic Config
2.4 GHz MAC

In that section can I connect to wifi hotspot
In bridge mode if not ok let me know
But if connecting in bridge mode is possible I would need to clone my mac address for xfinity to work properly.
If this is not able to function then i was mistaken on how that feature works.

In that section can I connect to wifi hotspot
WDS works as per your quoted description. You need to configure WDS mode on both routers for it to work.

But if connecting in bridge mode is possible I would need to clone my mac address for xfinity to work properly.
I can't see why you need to clone any MAC addresses. Each router (in WDS mode) is setup with the MAC address of the opposite router it is connecting to.

Because of the limited authentication methods allowed WDS is rarely used nowadays. Repeater mode is a better choice even if it has less total throughput. But of course in "repeater mode" you lose all the routing features (e.g. AiProtection, VPN, QoS, etc).

WDS works as per your quoted description. You need to configure WDS mode on both routers for it to work.

Thank you ColinTaylor I misunderstood that both had to be configured to use it.
I was mistaken thank you for the help.
This thread can be closed thanks!!!!