What's new

Change MAC address of router to get new IP address assigned from Spectrum Cable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zekesdad

Regular Contributor
Im gonna admit, I don't really understand all this, but I need to get a new external IP address assigned from Spectrum Cable. Ive tried leaving my modem unplugged for 24 hours, and that didn't work, so Ive read that changing the MAC address of your router can request a new IP from the cable provider, I just dont know what I'm doing in order to do that properly. Can someone point me towards the steps? Im using the latest merlin beta FW. Thanks for any input.

Got an IP ban somewhere did ya??;)

Did you also reboot the router when you unplugged the modem for 24hrs?

What's the lease time on your WAN IP from your ISP?

You can change the MAC given to your ISP on WAN-->Internet Connection-->Special requirement from ISP-->MAC address

Im gonna admit, I don't really understand all this, but I need to get a new external IP address assigned from Spectrum Cable.
Why?

Ive tried leaving my modem unplugged for 24 hours, and that didn't work, so Ive read that changing the MAC address of your router can request a new IP from the cable provider, I just dont know what I'm doing in order to do that properly. Can someone point me towards the steps? Im using the latest merlin beta FW. Thanks for any input.
Go to the WAN page and hit the MAC Clone button. Apply that change. Then power off your modem and the router. Wait a couple of minutes before turning on the modem. Wait for the modem to fully boot before powering on the router. Done.

The reason for the new ip is so that I can play rocket league again. It's the only idea I have left. I cant connect to "epic online services" starting randomly last night on either the steam client, epic client, or ps4. I think the IP is banned, but for what reason Im not sure, there was never an email or anything like that sent. Also, It works just fine from my office, or if I create a hotspot with a phone and connect to that, so if it is a ban, its not something attached to my account as far as I can tell.

Did you also reboot the router when you unplugged the modem for 24hrs?

What's the lease time on your WAN IP from your ISP?

You can change the MAC given to your ISP on WAN-->Internet Connection-->Special requirement from ISP-->MAC address

Yes, I rebooted the router too. I do not know the lease time, I think Ive read 30 days, but at this point Ive read a lot of conflicting info.

Is there any reason NOT to change the MAC address that way, or do I need to save the original somewhere in case something goes wrong?

Click the globe on the Main webgui page to see the internet status, it should show the lease time.

Change the MAC on the WAN page and give it a whirl following Colins instructions... Ive done this a few times in the past to help out friends with banned IPs to services

FWIW, sometimes you also just get unlucky enough to get assigned an IP where some idiot was monkeying around and got it banned by a random site. Happened to me a few times when I had Verizon Fios. Verizon's system cycles IP addresses pretty frequently for some reason. I'd wake up one day and find a site I usually go to inaccessible. Messing around with the MAC address or power cycling the ONT sometimes did get me a new IP and all was well, but sometimes the IP would stick for a few weeks. Thankfully RCN doesn't do that and I've been on the same IP for like 2 years.

So, just messing around I went back and hit the mac clone button again and noticed it doesn't seem to be changing anything this time. Is that normal?

So, just messing around I went back and hit the mac clone button again and noticed it doesn't seem to be changing anything this time. Is that normal?
Yes that's normal because it is cloning the MAC address of the PC you are using to access the router. Log out and go to another PC and try the same thing, you will get a different MAC address. Or you can just manually type in a completely fictitious MAC address (provided it's in the correct format).