What's new

Changing AX(XT8) from router mode to AP AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stoneware8324

New Around Here
I have two XT8s setup as an AI Mesh in router mode.
I want to change from router mode to AP AiMesh mode.

I am installing an OPNsense firewall router which will be my DHCP server going forward.

I'd like to change to AP mode and make the change as smooth as possible with minimal interuption to hosts running off the WiFi.

I've setup the OPNsense firewall LAN config to mirror the same IP scheme as the existing XT8 config, but it's not live yet. I am hoping that all I need to do is switch the XT8 to AP mode and give it an IP address in the same scheme as the firewall. Once that's done, plug the XT8 into the firewall and it should work.
I'm just not sure what will happen with the 2nd XT8. Does it get an IP address during the process?
I do most of my admin off the 2nd XT8 and for convenience I'd like any hosts connected to the 2nd XT8 to carry on. Is it that easy, or is there more to it?
Thanks

If you need true Guest Network or IoT network - you need VLAN support on the APs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!