What's new

Changing channels to arbitrary values on ASUS RT-AC2600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

galapogos

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm trying to optimise my router setup by changing channels for both bands to less congested one. Wifi Analyzer on my Android device is recommending channel 116 for both 2.4/5GHz bands. However, my ASUS router settings doesn't seem to support this channel, or any of the other less congested ones detected by Wifi Analyzer. Here's what I see in my settings. The 2.4GHz band only allows channels 1-11, nothing above that. The 5GHz band shows a few options, but very much less than what Wifi Analyzer detects, and all the options are congested according to Wifi Analyzer.

How do I change my channels to less congested ones?

Attachments

• 2.4ghz.png
    2.4ghz.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 5ghz.png
    5ghz.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 85
Wifi Analyzer on my Android device is recommending channel 116 for both 2.4/5GHz bands.
It must be a really rubbish app then as channel 116 is in the 5GHz band, not the 2.4GHz band.

To have access to channels 52 to 140 your router must support DFS. DFS support varies by country.

Hi,
I'm trying to optimise my router setup by changing channels for both bands to less congested one. Wifi Analyzer on my Android device is recommending channel 116 for both 2.4/5GHz bands. However, my ASUS router settings doesn't seem to support this channel, or any of the other less congested ones detected by Wifi Analyzer. Here's what I see in my settings. The 2.4GHz band only allows channels 1-11, nothing above that. The 5GHz band shows a few options, but very much less than what Wifi Analyzer detects, and all the options are congested according to Wifi Analyzer.

Try any 2.4 channel at 20MHz bandwidth... channels 1,6,11 are suggested as they do not overlap at 20MHz.

Try any non-DFS 5.0 channel 36-48,149-161 at 80MHz (or 20/40/80MHz) bandwidth.

The Wireless Log lists noise and client connection details. Determine the control channel of least noise dBm (more negative is better) and best client connection RSSI dBm (less negative is better) as shown in the log.

OE

Last edited:
Hi,

Auto channel and auto bandwidth. Let the router decide what works best for it! Don't worry be happy!

Thanks. Any reason why auto/default?

Nobody trusts the user to experiment with a few channels and their clients to learn how they behave in their environment... no good reason. So have at it... it's your network and you'll learn something.

OE

What this analyzer app is showing is total nonsense.

Agree. People use these apps when they are only a snapshot in time. Most neighboring routers are set to auto channel and what you see one minute on those apps may be totally different 1 hour later.

Your router doesn’t support DFS channels and you don’t have too many options. On 5GHz it’s either 36-48 or 149-161 at 80MHz wide. Test both and see what works better in your environment. Use default control channels 36 and 149 initially and test with some larger size file download. Change to 40 and 153 and test again. You can find your best channels in less than 1h time without any Apps.