What's new

Cheap Android phone for usb tethering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dotty

New Around Here
I want to buy a cheap Android phone to tether to my Asus RT-AC68U (Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9). I couldn’t find a list anywhere of Android phones that definitely work with Asus routers - it all seems a bit hit and miss. I was thinking perhaps a Google Pixel 3a? Can anyone recommend something from personal experience please?

if you're just using it for tethering, I wouldn't consider an Android phone.

There are several reasons:
Any cell phone contains batteries, and batteries age after a few years.
Why is there a need for a screen there?
The Pixel 3a's CPU is more powerful than the router's, but it's going to just generate heat here.

So the solution is:
Buy a USB modem, the router supports many models of USB modems, here is a compatibility list.

But if you're using an eSIM, then you may have to do more work, as I'm not sure if an eSIM-capable USB modem is included in the compatibility list.

EDIT: fix typo

Last edited:
So the solution is:
Buy a USB modems, the router supports many models of USB modems, here is a compatibility list.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list. It's full of obsolete information from 10 years ago. None of the devices they mention for the UK have been sold for years. They can't even spell Vodafone correctly and "Orange" UK hasn't existed for 9 years.

It's probably best to buy an LTE modem (or device with that capability) and connect it to the router's Ethernet WAN port.

EDIT: I've successfully used a Samsung Galaxy S6 during short outages.

Last edited:
I temporarily tethered my Huawei P30 a few months ago during an outage.

I haven't checked if my new Pixel 7 works but I suspect it does.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list. It's full of obsolete information from 10 years ago. None of the devices they mention for the UK have been sold for years. They can't even spell Vodafone correctly and "Orange" UK hasn't existed for 9 years.

It's probably best to buy an LTE modem (or device with that capability) and connect it to the router's Ethernet WAN port.
Well, I really haven't looked at that list. Looks like it really doesn't work today.

Btw, Asus is working on adding iOS tethering.

Oh that’s interesting. I have small collection of old / slightly damaged iPhones.
But it probably won't happen with RT-AC68U on branch 3.0.0.4.386, you need a router that supports branch 3.0.0.6.XXX.

But it probably won't happen with RT-AC68U on branch 3.0.0.4.386, you need a router that supports branch 3.0.0.6.XXX.

Ah, yes. Thanks.

Ah, yes. Thanks.
You're welcome.
The minimal investment is an inexpensive USB modem, but there is no guarantee that the driver for this USB modem is included in the router. or simply a modem router that you can plug a SIM card into like ColinTaylor said.

If you do decide to go with an Android phone, anything as old or older than approximately a Pixel 2 XL may not support 5G. 5G is a minimum, Carriers (including mine) were super aggressive about 5G roll out and cannibalized their HSPA/3G networks for it almost completely in some areas.

If you do decide to go with an Android phone, anything as old or older than approximately a Pixel 2 XL may not support 5G. 5G is a minimum, Carriers (including mine) were super aggressive about 5G roll out and cannibalized their HSPA/3G networks for it almost completely in some areas.
LTE over 5G. My carrier doesn't even support 5G, and I don't feel I'm missing anything when LTE+ can break 70 Mbps here (probably more if I were closer to a tower, this is a semi-basement with marginal connectivity).

I've used various Pixels over the years with no issues. As others have mentioned, don't worry about 5G. LTE isn't going anywhere soon. Pro tip: enable developer options and then go in and set the default USB mode to tethering. This will save you a few clicks upon restarting either device.

If you do decide to go with an Android phone, anything as old or older than approximately a Pixel 2 XL may not support 5G.
My Pixel 3 got an update at the last minute to let it run LTE, saving its bacon, but otherwise it would have been inoperable. I have it on a Fi data-only SIM but unfortunately I don't have it with me to try.

I just tried tethering with a Pixel 6a on Android 13, and it worked fine. I then tried it with a Sonim on Android 11 and it didn't work, although the phone correctly registered on the USB port. Both of those phones tether fine with my travel routers.

So your mileage will very much vary.

LTE over 5G. My carrier doesn't even support 5G, and I don't feel I'm missing anything when LTE+ can break 70 Mbps here (probably more if I were closer to a tower, this is a semi-basement with marginal connectivity).

As long as the device's modem/radios and carrier line up, everything will be fine. T-Mobile rolled out 5G really aggressively where I live, so UMTS, HSPA etc. disappeared more quickly than I anticipated. My old phone had shockingly poor LTE reception everywhere, even different cities, so I leaned on 3G a lot. Once 3G dried up, the phone was almost useless.

I kept it for way too long though. You get so used to using some devices that years go by and you never think about compatibility issues or new standards getting widespread adoption.