What's new

Cheap NAS to replace USB functionality + SMB that my router sucks at?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fancellu

Occasional Visitor

I have a nice USB SSD and I simply want to access it for light usage across the house. Main use is watching movies, but obviously once in a while I need to copy things across, which is when
the rt-ax92u starts crying, hanging, rebooting, killing the internet for everyone here

I was using it just fine with my old Archer vr900 or Fritzbox 7530, however I have recently "upgraded" to an ASUS RT-AX92u, and it doesn't work at all well with SMB

Are there any dedicated little devices that can either use Ethernet/Wifi and support a USB driver to do Samba file sharing?

I could of course use the above older routers just as a simple NAS, but was wondering if something more specific existed? Like a super cut down router with enough CPU to do the job and not die

Thanks

If you looking to put a share an existing USB drive via Ethernet, that ship has sailed. There used to be a few products to do that. I don't think they exist any more.

QNAP, Synology and Buffalo still make 1 and 2 drive NASes. But you'll need to buy SATA drives and transfer files onto the new drives.

Are there any dedicated little devices that can either use Ethernet/Wifi and support a USB driver to do Samba file sharing?

I had some incidents with 2-bay NAS boxes requiring emergency data recovery. I don't trust 2-bay boxes anymore. At home I use a dedicated HP EliteDesk 800 mini PC running Windows 10 with two WD Easystore 8TB drives. Both are NTFS and mirrored by software. If one of the drives fails, the good one is easily readable on any Windows PC. The entire setup consumes about 35W power. Low RPM 120mm fan keeps the drives cool - around 40C. The read/write performance is excellent - full Gigabit speed. Data backups are performed multiple times a day from 6 Windows PCs. This DIY system never failed for 6 years 24/7 operation. Once the HDDs were upgraded from 2x4TB to 2x8TB. The HDDs never spin down - Sleep disabled in WD software.

OTOH, I've used a series of one and 2 bay NASes for years (WD, Qnap, Synology) without a single failure. NAS backed up to either another NAS or attached USB drive that is periodically rotated out.

OTOH, I've used a series of one and 2 bay NASes for years (WD, Qnap, Synology) without a single failure. NAS backed up to either another NAS or attached USB drive that is periodically rotated out.
+1

I've been running my NAS must be 10 years now 24/7. I have a 2 year old QNAP 5-bay as well but my units have been rock solid (although I do have spares still in their boxes just in case).

Just an update, got fed up with RT-AX92u smb+ftp server being terrible, so took the usb drive off and put it on my previous Fritz.Box 7530, connecting the 7530 to the RT-AX92u, turning of the 7530 wifi etc.

Now my network share is solid as a rock, as the entire 7530 is dedicated to usb+smb, and the ASUS can do what it does best, which is serve internet

Zero extra cost, silent running, and more than enough file sharing on the local network.

When I was just using the 7530 before (free from my ISP), it served smb just fine, whereas ASUS router chokes big time.

Would be nice if they could try writing a better smb implementation

Would be nice if they could try writing a better smb implementation

You may have to wait for this. Asus is entirely focused on fixing AiMesh. They want to sell more routers to existing Asus router users.

I am using HPE MicroServer gen8: Xeon E3-1265Lv2, 16GB (2x KTH-PL316E/8G), 4x4TB WD RED, SSD, SD grub
and it is very good as I can downloads torrents with speed about 50MB/s, no any challenge/drama with samba v1 :), last reboot in 2017.

it is all depend if you want to buy complete solution and pay for brand or you can made better NAS yourself spending half.