What's new

Choosing Linksys WRVS4400N?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vaarikas

New Around Here
I'm working a lot with image editing and am looking to get Thecus N5200 Pro NAS for RAID, more space and better sharing. To get best performance I need to replace also my current Linksys WRT54G.

I have been looking at Linksys WRVS4400N as it combines gigabit router and has vpn endpoint

My main needs:
- Fast PC to NAS performance in LAN
- Secure access from outside
- Thinkpad T400 and PS3 using wireless

Bonus would be that wireless runs over 802.11n so that I would have faster access to NAS also from laptop - according to specs T400 should be supporting it? But PS3 I guess doesn't - so how does that work out then?

Am I on the right track with this WRVS4400N or would you recommend some other options?

Also - do you have experience about NAS performance if several users (for example one with PC and other with laptop) are working actively with pictures that are stored on NAS (50 - 200 Mb in size)? PC and laptop have both 4GB or RAM.

Running a mixed 11g/draft 11n WLAN will result in degraded performance for both types of clients when both types are active simultaneously.

If you need gigabit, just buy a 5/8 port gigabit switch. No need to upgrade the router unless it is limiting Internet speeds.

We don't test NASes for simultaneous users. For the type of use that you are describing (image editing), I would think that the app is downloading the file to the client and working on it there. So it's not really "simultaneous" access, as, say a database application would be. You should be fine.

You’ll see a big increase in throughput with the wrv4400n. Its definitely a good purchase and glad I made it. You’ll see a big difference on your network.