What's new

Chromecast Devices Not Showing Up - RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Update -

After many attempts to get this to work correctly on my AC88U with Merlin, I had to revert back to stock firmware from ASUS. I installed the latest release from them and all of my wireless chromecast ability came back to all of my wireless devices.

I enjoyed the use of Merlin while I had it but definitely wanted to have the cast ability back in my life.

I have zero problem using Chromecast with my RT-AC88U (first with an actual Chromecast, and now with an nVidia Shield "Builtin Chromecast" support).

I know this is an old thread but it seems relevant to my issue. I was experiencing the same conditions as the OP and disabling airtime fairness has made a huge improvement for me. I'm on Merlin's 384.5 AC88U.

I am only running 2.4ghz right now, with 5ghz disabled. I'll add 5ghz to the mix once I feel comfortable this Chromecast issue is fully resolved.

Did you enable these on the router?

Enable: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), multicast, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)

I know that IGMP Snooping is disabled by default, so that might possibly be your issue. I have 5 chromecasts in the house ranging from first gen to the latest with 5G and they are all working correctly on an AC86U on 384.6.

Did you enable these on the router?

Enable: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), multicast, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)

I know that IGMP Snooping is disabled by default, so that might possibly be your issue. I have 5 chromecasts in the house ranging from first gen to the latest with 5G and they are all working correctly on an AC86U on 384.6.

Thanks for the input, I'm away but I'll check these when I get home. I know I have IGMP Snooping enabled, and I suspect that I can return to using 5G now that I've disabled airtime fairness but I wanted to ensure the issue was resolved before making any other changes.

I've got 2 chromecasts and 2 Homes and never had a problem until recently (maybe a month ago?), when I noticed that I could almost never cast anything and could no longer manage the Google devices from within the Home app. Nothing in my router config has changed, and I've never even noticed the airtime fairness option, but I disabled it after reading this thread, and 'tada', all is good in the world.

Suddenly Chromecast stopped working which I noticed after the last 384.17 Merlin update. It affects Chromecast3 and FireTV dongles.
Nothing helps. They show up as "available" or "source not supported" on two different win10 and win10pro laptops randomly. Or suddenly they work, to stop next time they are tried.
Is it possible that ASUS AiMESH with RT-AC88u (router) and two RT-AC68u (nodes; 1 WiFi, 1 ethernet) with a single name SSID for both frequencies is the problem.

Same thing but with RT-86U. Chromecast shows as "source not supported". Worked fine on 384.16 version. However, I have to say that since then I also updated Chrome. It maybe related to either.

Same thing but with RT-86U. Chromecast shows as "source not supported". Worked fine on 384.16 version. However, I have to say that since then I also updated Chrome. It maybe related to either.
Found to be a non issue. After some research I learned that some video formats are not supported by Chromecast hence the error message "source not supported". When I tried using youtube app all works just fine.

Found to be a non issue. After some research I learned that some video formats are not supported by Chromecast hence the error message "source not supported". When I tried using youtube app all works just fine.
That would be super - but not the case when there is no video format of any sort involved. The problem is that the window or the screen cannot be cast; no jpg, no html no nothing.

I faced the same issue with AC-86U running 384.19. I was able to get past it by forcing to use channel 48 in 5GHz band. I also disabled Universal Beamforming but I don't think it mattered. Hope this info helps.

I faced the same issue with AC-86U running 384.19. I was able to get past it by forcing to use channel 48 in 5GHz band. I also disabled Universal Beamforming but I don't think it mattered. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for this! This helped for my AC-86U as well. Registered an account just to say thanks. :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!