What's new

Chromecast with Google TV WiFi Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yoggit

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I recently purchased a new 2020 Chromecast with Google TV, but am having some headaches with its WiFi...Only this device will not see my 5GHz network, and is constantly losing connection to the 2.4GHz network. It seems that there are a number of people with this issue (see https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/77444788?hl=en and other threads), but wondering if anyone here had seen or heard of this and may have some ideas. I've tried mucking around with the wifi settings, including the professional page, but no luck.
Thanks in advance, Jon
RT-AC86U (384.12)

Hi all. I recently purchased a new 2020 Chromecast with Google TV, but am having some headaches with its WiFi...Only this device will not see my 5GHz network, and is constantly losing connection to the 2.4GHz network. It seems that there are a number of people with this issue (see https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/77444788?hl=en and other threads), but wondering if anyone here had seen or heard of this and may have some ideas. I've tried mucking around with the wifi settings, including the professional page, but no luck.
Thanks in advance, Jon
RT-AC86U (384.12)

I just researched this new first gen product yesterday and concluded it was not ready for prime time... holiday sales, maybe, but not worth messing with. I wouldn't waste any time on it.

OE

I just read 'Google...' and knew it was a hard pass. :)

Thanks in advance, Jon
RT-AC86U (384.12)

I have had the issue in the past, sometimes I could see the device sometimes I couldn’t. Tvs, chromecasts and anything that would idle a lot.

Solution for me was turn off a option called Airtime fairness on the router and it was like magic.

On the router go to wireless > professional > airtime fairness and disable it.

Solution for me was turn off a option called Airtime fairness on the router and it was like magic.

On the router go to wireless > professional > airtime fairness and disable it.

This is good idea for 99% of people regardless of using a chromecast device or not.

To the OP:
When I first got my CCwGTV I would be streaming local content over my LAN and every now and then (maybe once or twice a day) the stream would stop. I would have to click to resume. My plan all along was to buy a USB C hub with an ethernet port and use that instead of wifi. Once connected to ethernet I stopped having my issue. In hindsight it was probably a wifi issue. I do remember reading on reddit that the CCwGTV does not like the higher 5 GHz wifi channels. Mine was connected to the lower channels but apparently there are still some issues with the lower channels.

To the naysayers :)
My previous setup was a HTPC running Kodi for local stuff and a gen 2 Chromecast for casting Netflix etc. from my tablet or phone. The CCwGTV does both and does them better. It was a PITA to rewind or fast forward Netflix using my phone. Now it's just a click on the remote that came with the CCwGTV. Also, the CCwGTV plays almost everything (4k HDR HEVC not so much) I throw at it where my 4 year old N3700 based HTPC would struggle on some 1080p videos. And I don't think it does too much phoning home thanks to DNSFilter and Diversion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My CCwGTV managed to update to a newer firmware and now it seems to hold the 2.4GHz connection and is now finally stable. However, I'm struggling to set my router's 5GHz channel to anything other than 149-165 range. Region is set to Australia...
From what I can find, 32-48 should be available.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I set my region to USA and those lower channels are now available, and useable and my Chromecast can now see and use my 5GHz wifi... no thanks to Google!

Just bought a usb type-c hub with an ethernet adapter and a power brick, and hooked up ethernet on the Chromecast that way. I’m seeing about 320Mbps on the Chromecast using wired ethernet. Seems stable, aside from the lower speed on a gigabit network, but more speed than is need for streaming anything. Pretty close to the WiFi speed I was seeing on the Chromecast. So I’m satisfied with the Ethernet connection.

For reference, the speed that I see on the NVIDIA Shield is over 600Mbps, but the Shield cost 3 times the Chromecast. Both are able to stream anything *smile*.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!